GRCS Used To Hoist A Climber

I've been wondering if someone used it that way. Have a climb line set and just tend yer' slack as you go up (as safety, but that's what I would do if it were me, you know... sometimes groundies don't do the exact right thing....:O )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep...knew the Wraptor would get mentioned ! ...had a climb line set plus rig line to GRCS , like you say tended slack on HH while the big hook did the work

Sure we do. If we can find someone willing to turn it.

P1030350.JPG

Dangerous in hands of rookie if rope pops out of fair lead . Get a wraptor

What John said. not to mention that a ground man looks mostly at what he or she is doing rather than how you might bump something should they keep turning.
I had to come down because the mount on my 200T handle broke after I took a limb off a removal. I came down, took a lunch break and left my lines in the tree.
Sharpened the Echo 330T the way I LIKE it sharp and hooked the Wraptor to the rigging line. I just had Katy tend my HH for me by holding the line firm. Two line ascent. Worked a charm. Came off the Wraptor and went back to work.

... Not to be contrary but , using the winch is actually pretty efficient. Cannot possibly afford a Wraptor yet. With total trust and good communication to ground we have not only used it for access but lowering and positioning me as well...with two lines I feel quite safe when locked through the tailer to make a cut or being lowered to the next one. We had already winched or lowered everything close to the building so why not keep using the setup we had to climber's advantage for the work I can free fall I say

Wow IMO you are whack!!. I have a VERY competent ground guy who gets paid top dollar but I would never trust anybody to transition from ascent to lowering on a GRCS. I know Im a control freak but it just sounds like a bad idea to literally put your life in somebody else's hands. I can see using it for ascent IF as stated before it has a gibs above it but that is it for my comfort level!

Just to be funny, but have ya' seen who puts carnival rides together!!?!?! What makes it worse is at my full time job I rewind/repair safety brakes and clutches for those rides!!

I rode on a tiny little "roller coaster" few years back with my daughter. It was maybe 200 yards long with maybe 15' elevation. All I could do was look at the wheel bearings that were running out and everything was squeaking. Cycles to failure was very prominent in my mind. The kids love those rides but I won't go on them....

Any time we did it we just used the climbing line add a back up. Not that I've ever had anything slip in the tailer but it just seems prudent to do

...had a seperate climb line at a different angle...was using the two to gain quicker positioning...PS me no whack...and I climb with two safeties plus the winch man is well experienced

I use the GRCS for ascending, especially after lunch. I guess the only time that I would ever use it for lowering a climber would be in emergency rescue situation.

I have had a groundie lower me a time or two with the GRCS, but I usually just have them throw a figure-8 knot around the bollard/winch and come down the other leg with an 8.

Safety wise, there's no harm in riding up the GRCS. If it can handle thousand pound logs all day long, hauling me shouldn't even be a blip on the radar. But it seems like a waste of time. I've ridden up on it before and i felt like I was just sitting there slowly doing nothing when I could've climbed up just as fast while the ground crew was doing something to speed up the job.

Back