F250 7.3IDI

flushcut

TreeHouser
I saw a truck for sale a late 80's f250 4x4 5spd with a 7.3 IDI with 369k (yes a ton of miles) body is clean, a Cali truck, and has a well built home brew dump body. They are asking $3500 which I am thinking a G as It would take about 5g's for the rebuild. No drips aside from a leaking injector.
I just want a beater for hauling wood and stumps clean ups. Good idea bad idea? And discuss!

Too much money. The motor isn't the only part that was spinning for 369k miles. 7.3's were awesome from the IDI, turbo, OBS Powerstroke, to the Superduty Powerstroke, but nothing lasts forever.

The IDI's where never one of my favorites. I'm not sure what the markets like up there but I'd bet you could do better for the money, or a few dollars more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now that my hangover is gone and I am thinking more clearly, no do not buy the money pit!
Thanks guys for the moment of clarity!

What does it weight empty, and what of its gvwr remains for payload?

My 91 f350 weighs 8900 empty w/steel chip box. Only leaves 2100 lbs of payload, 11k gvwt. Not much. Its a non turbo 7.3 idi, it pulls, not fast, but it does it.

I think you might be better off with a gas truck for a beater. Nothing is cheap with diesel. Maybe look around for some older grain trucks.

I've had great luck with chevy 350's. I found out the hard way that 454's cost twice as much, not twice the motor IMO.

I used to run an '89 3500 with the 454 TBI. We called it Toilet Bowl Injection, as you were just dumping gas down the drain.:lol: A buddy of mine runs Ford trucks. He had an '89 with the 7.3 diesel. It ran pretty good for a non turbo, but started having a lot of head, head gasket, and other over-heating problems. My favorite of his trucks was the mid '90's 'Strokes. The 6.0 was scary. The 6.4 seems pretty nice, but you can't actually see an engine under the hood.:/:

I had a 1995 F250 7.3L Powerstroke TD with a 5 speed manual. That thing had ridiculous grunt when it came to pullin' and haulin'. Had an elk huntin' bud that had a 1990ish 7.3 IDI. He hated haulin' elk camp over the mountains with that thing. I could set my cruise control in 4th gear and damn near idle over the passes hauling a HUGE slide in camper. :lol:

The Ford IDI's had their moment, but I would look elsewhere. Even for a beater diesel the older TD's are right around what they are asking.

Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the replies! The truck I was looking at has sold so let it be somebody elses headache.

Back