Bulldog Bone

Jerry, you forgot the Rope Runner.

I have only ever tried the rope wrench and the bulldog bone. The bulldog bone is definitely an improvement over the wrench. It is nearly effortless to tend and you get a constant friction that never changes. Also it takes seconds to install.

At $200.00 US it is also cheaper when you include the price of purchasing friction - hitch cords periodically as the wr demands

Hopefully you will get one to include in your next video series.

Makes us out to be real oldtimers, eh Jer? I agree, it's inspiring. I only wish I was 35 years younger, and had all these whiz bangs in front of me to explore as I really began to develop as a working climber.

Or even to be as active yet as DMc, and still be at the cutting edge day in and out...man, he has my respect.

that pin has a shear strength of 4,500lbs. it is only a temporary solution, i dont like that it is the only thing holding the attachment point if solely because i hate loose parts getting lost. i have a much better design but i didnt have it put together at the time i sent that out. i included an extra long pin in the box so that by clipping the biner through the ring it captures the pin and prevents it from pulling out unexpectedly. remember, this is an experimental device. when i first started trying it out i backed it up with a prussic above. low and slow. i hope that helps. keep it coming.

The back up prussic was my plan. Kevin Bingham found some quad action locking pins, IIRC.

What are the three choices of holes for?

Looking forward to trying it!!

the three choices of holes allows adjustment of grip strength. bottom hole = lowest grip. top = tightest. quad action pins sounds intriguing. the improvement i alluded to earlier involves a semi captured slic pin, only double locking.

I could easily step up with no weight on the device and snag the pin. The regular rope wrench slic pins have a lock that is hard to pull out, but the WR is not life-support. Maybe just a ny-lock bolt and nut.

I'd mark the bolt-end and nut slightly to prove no turning out/ loosening. This is commonly done on equipment as a way to monitor. The boom on the State Parks bucket truck had a bit of what looked like puffy paint as a line for visual inspection. A dot of paint, which covers the outer edge of the bolt (at the the threads) and the inner part of the nut (at the threads) would suffice.

The attachment point comes out as a part of the lock for the bottom do-hickey, so a lockable, removable pin of some sort might be necessary. It would be great to be semi-permanent, once you choose your grip strength.

The bottom cam's edges could be smoothed down. As the cam wears, I'm concerned that that little point could become sharper, and snag rope fibers.

I don't recall if the quad pins were for the RW or RR.

Looking forward to trying it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are now corrosion resistant links back in stock and so I can make up two new Bulldog Bones now from my original batch of parts, with a second batch to follow. Moving forward I will be using SS links at the teardrop attach point and at the upper double joint, with the steel corrosion resistant links at the friction points. I am recommending that a limit of 250 lbs. be used with the Bone.

Thought I would start a new thread about the Bulldog Bone that I have made that works very well SRT and can be used also DdRT, by posting a few videos of it.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DfZSclf_GSo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As usual - genial is simple.

Unfortunately I can not get the original Bulldog in Russia. I'll attempt to do with their hands.

video of the Bone in action:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ky5dQHd6PhQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here are two bones in action. Each on a seperatly anchored line, and both Bones on the same bridge swivel.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VJ58q0R513w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

coool

Two independent systems open up possibilities.

I like the base-tie with the friction hitch. I wonder if it just relies on natural crotch friction to absorb some of the climber's weight (force) on the line to operate. With basal-ties you can keep your tail, just long enough to always be able to reach the ground (plus a little extra), with the minimum to length to pull up when redirecting. Makes crotch hopping easier than having 100-200' (pnw) of rope below you on DdRT.

In the lead off video above you can see three holes in the upper arm in the original Compact Bulldog Bone at the top friction link which allowed for various levels of grip (and ease of release) depending on which hole the friction link was installed. I settled on one hole with three bollards which come with each Bone for dialing the grip to various ropes and climbing weights, however DMC is reporting that if a top pivot hole is drilled one inch from the friction link, it works better on his Vortex and is easier to release and advance while ascending. This hole is easily made to the top arm if any others would like to make this mod for their fatter ropes!

So Gordon, how can I get hold of one in the UK?

Looks a great product and have just read this thread and the development process sounds awesome.

Cheers.

In response to Sean's question in the HH RW thread, I have done drop testing and static load testing on my earlier OAR's (see you tube video with 200lbs. drop test and 475lbs. static load test on Tachyon) The static load test was with a 55 gallon drum full of water, which was the limit of my testing. I have not tested the Bulldog Bone with a static load test nor a drop test as I did with the OAR's, however a break test by a third party to establish a Kn rating is in the works.
Gordon

I just found this thread (I really need to "get out more" and see what's going on) and I am very excited to say the least. :thumbup::D

Read the whole thing start to finish and watched most of the videos of climbers using "the bone"..... it is truly amazing the innovation and progression that is taking place. I am so very much looking forward to seeing where all this is going to end up. Whatever happens it will be all good for us climbers. :thumbup:;)

Gordon, I don't know what the "availability" of your bulldog bone is but I'd love to try it out.
Thank you for all the work you've done on this, we're all going to benefit from stuff like this. :thumbup::)

Back