Bulldog Bone

I only see q pic not a vid but it looks like widening either the top or bottom arms shld prevent that possibility.
lso, it doesn't look like that could occur when the bulldog bone is loaded. I will keep an eye on mine and remember to check it before sitting back on it after a period of slack.

Gordon, you are probably ahead of me on this but a simple fix may be had by incorporating a stop on the bone to prevent the arms from over collapsing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure, Paul was going to send it on about 2 weeks ago now. IMG_1002.JPG Several have suggested this type of fix to the cross-load problem, including DMC, thanks to all.

Sorry guys, I have been so freakin busy I haven't sent them on yet. Gordon do you want me to send it back to you??

Ill send the Hybrid to SST ??

Gordon, that was a scary little problem that you addressed quickly, nice! By the way, in case it makes a difference and if it will work, I will be adding a Rock Exotica nano swivel to mine when I get it.

Thanks, David. Others have suggested putting the swivel on the bridge and connecting to the Bone with a crab, but I look forward to your assessment.

No, i'm thinking the swivel needs to replace the standard teardrop attachment on the Bulldog Bone itself. It might create some problems that I am not envisioning, but it would be the best place for one. Like a on a Lockjack.

That looks like it shld eliminate the problem.
I've been using mine with a swivel on my bridge.

What would the advantage of making it integral to the Bdb be?

yes Paul, go ahead and send it to Southsound. keep it going on down the list, i really want to get some feedback on it.

Gordon, could you add a small screw or post to the top arm as a stopper to prevent the upper and lower arms from contacting?

Having the swivel be a part of the Bulldog Bone would do a couple of things better than having it on your bridge. One of the most important is that swivels on rope bridges can wear out fast as they always track in the same spot, were a ring is always changing the contact patch. A worn out ring cost a lot less to replace than a swivel. Swivels are generally longer than rings, so that plus the length of the standard teardrop attachment means the BB will be farther away from your bridge. A ring has enough space for 2 or more carabiners which gives you options, some swivels do also, but most small ones don't.

As you can see, these are not big things, but I have had better luck with tools that have swivels than I have with swivels on my bridge.

Hi Gordon. I realize you must be busy so, just want to ask if you have got around to sending those bdb parts for creating more friction with the kernmaster safari rope?

Thanks Gavin

And to everybody else you need a bulldog bone if you are still using hitch cord! I'm thinking of getting a second one.

Thanks Dave. That all makes good sense.

Yes, but with all that said when I get mine I might still leave it as Gordon has made it because it is such a clean and rugged looking design. Swivel wear be damned!

I've used it on safari a few times. It creeps slowly and I had to manually stop it a few times. As the ascent was so nice I think adding just a little bit more friction will make it perfect.

The descent on the Bdb is very intuitive and after a few hours I found I was controlling the descent mindlessly.

Gavin, yes I did send those parts out, you should get them soon, then you should get results more like tyler, as his video posted on treebuzz shows so well.

Thanks, Gordon

Here is Tylers video review of the Bulldog Bone, his has since been moded with the handle/stops on the top arms.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Mmx1nGfhs7o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I got my bone today but only had a few minutes on it before it got dark. This thing rocks! Here's my initial impression cut and pasted from another site -
'it was cool to just walk up to my line and clip on and go without fussing and setting a hitch. off the ground in record time and clipped in with my loop runner/chest harness and had no issues. one thing I thought id have to get used to is the motion of squeezing the top and bottom arms together to descend but I didn't even think that was needed. I just pulled down on the top arm like a hitch and could control descent smoothly. ill also say that ive been a hitch hiker user and without measuring I think it might even be slightly more compact than the hh but ill have to put them side by side to see. I think the bone is going to be a good option for working a spar. im a shorter guy but I was able to cinch it up close enough to be right on the trunk. ill have more to say with more time on it but these are my initial thoughts of it. thanks Gordon!

Is this just reinventing the wheel or what? So far I've seen the Rope Wrench, the Hitch Hiker and now the Bull Dog. What's next? And which is really superior over the other?

Don't get me wrong. I find this new 'single line technique' and the gadgets that are being developed for entry into the tree, and working, very intriguing.

At present I know there are a lot of young minds working to keep improving upon it. It is good, and in the meantime fun to sit back and watch the progress.

Keep the innovation spirit going.

Back