Bulldog Bone

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It would undoubtedly have some slippage during a shock load, but wether it would be enough to help protect a climber is uncertain. It does function much like a hitch with a rope wrench above on a stiff tether, but with minimal sitback, and easier to install/remove. The links are rated at 14,500 (with both side plates intact), but the Bone would of course slip long before that limit was reached.

Thanks Jamie, I look forward to receiving it and trying it out.

To any Bulldog Bone users. You should always use the hole in the middle of the spine to advance the the Bone SRT NOT THE CHAINLINK AT THE TOP. While the bone will advance if you pull it along from the top, if you lean back hard, if attached at the top link, the Bone will release.

If it were possible, I'd also like to give it a try. Very impressive, and Jaime's is as well.

Love to see the innovation these days...the current rate of advance is stunning, to old climbers like Jerry B., DMc, and myself.

Hope I didn't offend, Dave or Jer :D.

IMG_0958_zps4124b71c.jpg

No offense taken, B. Actually it was a compliment.

I've remained progressive through the years and love to see new innovations in the trade. They keep coming! Though I will add most are just re-inventing the wheel. Nonetheless, some are definite improvements in function, safety and design.

Keep'um coming you, young'uns!

Another way to make the Bone self tend DdRT.

Jamie I received your Hybrid OAR, thanks. Please see private message.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5jB60D4VNAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gordon has the hybrid oar at the moment. he will be sending it on to Paul when he is done with it, and Paul can send it on down the line to any elders who wish to try it out. A few details on it: the release pin on the lower arm is not a locking pin, i have a locking design but it didnt make it onto that proto. that said when you put your biner through the attachment point you need to also put it through the split ring on the pin. this will capture the pin and prevent the possibility of it being pulled out. to open the lower arm to install/remove the rope you only need to pull the pin half way out. to move the attachment point up or down on the three grip adjuster settings you have to pull the pin completely out. i have a solution to keep all the parts captured while changing settings, it didnt make it onto this proto. there is no top attachment point, i use a micro biner and clip it to the top bolt on the spine. that works very well. any questions/suggestions welcome looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I have been admiring Jamie's Hybrid OAR, it is beautifully machined, nice and compact, and no heavier than the Bone. It uses stainless steel links with cemented e-clips on the top two arms to capture the rope, and a release pin through the lower arm and attach point that,when disengaged, allow one side of the bottom arm to pivot aside allowing the insertion of the rope there, then re-engage the release pin through the arms and attach point. There is more resistance to tending slack than the Bone, but I have suggested that Jamie machine grooves on the inner part of the arms, as this helped rather dramatically on the Bone for slack tending on a fatter rope. The release is a bit less smooth than the Bone on a fatter rope, as the top arm is held up slightly more by the middle arm. The Hybrid OAR works DdRT by clipping the climbing line back into the bridge (just like the Bone), and also it can be pulled along nicely SRT as Jamie describes, however I would caution that if too much weight is transfered downward on the top attachment, it will release just as the Bone would. I will be sending it on to Paul next.

Thanks Jamie for letting me try it out. Love your Cabin project also.

It is teufelberger platinum 11.5 mm. I got a longer shackle today after the storm forced me down, from the marine supply store that shld be easier to clip my chest harness and rope walker system to.

Gordon, what size ropes are you using? i modeled and tested the hybrid around the poison ivy family of ropes (11.7mm?).

The ropes I have to test with are Yale Fire XTC, Tachyon (green and orange), Imori, Rocket line, KMIII, Poison Ivy, and Velocity.

After using the bulldog bone for several days on a massive poplar removal I am becoming very comfortable with it and finding it a pleasure to use.

I added a longer shackle for self tending which seems to make the tending smoother. The only draw back is the shackle needs to be removed to allow the opening on the lower arm to open enough to get the rope in.

Here is a picture

Attachments

• 2014-10-07 19.53.01.jpg
    2014-10-07 19.53.01.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 148
One climber uses what looks like a small loop of throw line, that allows the snap swivel link to swivel aside.
Another climber is saying that the Bone eats up slack above about 30' (on Tachyon).
The Bone transitions from ascent to taking the climbers weight very well, with little sitback.
Here is the Bulldog Bone with the optional coated links and the three bollards. Each coated link comes with stainless steel cotters. There are 4 different levels of grip (and ease of release) possible. The largest bollard offers the most grip, all the way down to no bollard all, which will have the least grip (and the easiest to initiate release).
IMG_0965_zpsd673614c.jpg

I'd love to give them/one of them a try. I haven't put my name in before so I don't know if there is anyone in line.

SouthSoundTree was first on the list for the Bone, according to this thread, after I offered it as a Demo for the Treehouse.

A user has had a "disconcerting incident" with the Bone. The top arm became cross- loaded with the bottom arm impeding the proper upward motion of both arms. Fortunately he was bucked in when this occurred and is OK, and now has a ground level video to demonstrate the problem. If I can figure out how to load it here I will.

Gordon bulldog bone failure.jpeg

Back