Bulldog Bone

Porkbrick, that looks really cool, maybe I missed something earlier, but is that your design and build??

Thanks.

Paul one is being tested now by an arborist, and he loves it. I will make you one also , as soon as I receive a cottered master link order I have pending since a few days ago (should arrive today).

I will sell them also with a signed disclaimer. I plan to use a cottered link on the upper arm swivel link.
I'd sign and pay for one

If your looking for something to hold the sirclips on or even the master link, . I would probably use something like Hysol 9309, or PS 890 B 1/2. Plain epoxy is to brittle ( even if it's industrial epoxy like 3M) , I would use something like those i suggested cause of the robust adhesion and ply-ability. Just my two cents worth hope it help someone, or steer's them in the right direction.8)

Porkbrick, that looks really cool, maybe I missed something earlier, but is that your design and build??
Yes, based of Gordons original design. i will soon have one to break test, and maybe to send around the 'house (not the same one obviously). you should see my wall of reject designs and parts!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A bit of history about my endeavor to create an ascender/descender. I first became aware of Morgan's Unicender early in 2010 and was fascinated by the concept, but wanted to make certain improvements as I heard of things that users wished would work better, such as wear issues, slack tending, smoother release, and secure attachment. I released my first public video march of 2010, showing what I called an OAR (Offset Ascending Rack) and it was not too much later that I hit upon the original idea of using two open ended arms, with an ANSI swivel link so that the rope could be captured securely mid-line (for which I have applied for a patent). I was at first using the top arm(s) to act as a brake for descent. It was after this that I met Kevin and he gave me a ZK-1, to which I added a sheave, and made an opened ended wrench with a swivel link I called a Dogbone. I would like to publicly thank Kevin for giving me a one time compensation for my sheave idea contribution to the ZK-2. I then had the idea to make my pulley/rack with a zig-zag rack (this was before the Petzl zigzag went public) They had come up with the same concept independent of my device and we were unaware of each others devices. I will say that as far as I know the one user who has my pulley/rack is still using it (SRT) and has no breakage issues with it. Around this time Jamie became interested in my OAR design and I sent him a demo to use and he liked it. He asked if he could modify it as long as he gave me attribution for the swivel link concept, and I agreed. Jamie sent me a demo of his first model and now he is on to his second, I can certainly relate to the time, effort, and expense that goes unseen in creating a device. subsequently I met Paul at the Charlotte competition where he was showing his Hitchhiker and later he generously gave me a HH, (Which I promptly modified for my own use by making it all mechanical, no hitch cord). Kevin came out with his rope runner which shares some attributes of the HH and his RW. I like to think that we have been inspired by each others inventions and that the arborist community has benefitted. I hope that my Bulldog Bone, which shares attributes of the Uni, HH, RW, and OAR can join this group.

Gordon Svedberg aka surveyor

Excellent background and info, Gord. Definetly sounds like some good open minded collaboration amongst you inventor/engineer tree guys.

Yeah, PorkB, crowd sourcing can be a powerful approach.

Jamie I have the capability to break test stuff, my load cell has not been calibrated lately so will not hold up in court but if you want an idea of the strength I would gladly do it for free and have contacts to get an official report for cheap. Same offer to you Gordon and I have already offered Kevin.

Gordon, nice history. This tinkering stuff is addictive aint it!!

im not sure addiction is a strong enough word for it! i keep thinking that i have a prototype ready to load test, and then i go and redesign the whole damn thing. i think that as soon as i make a couple of copies of this one, and send one to Gordon, i will take you up on your offer.

Thanks Paul and Jamie, it would be interesting to learn how far it would stand up. I did a drop test of an early OAR that used smaller size links, using a 200 lb. weight and a drop of approx. 7-8 ft, and there was no discernible damage to the OAR. Because the Bulldog Bone has a double joint, and a separation of the friction points, it should allow some slippage on rope if it is shock loaded. Of course the acid test is to see how it stands up to long term day to day use, as the rated zig-zag has so recently demonstrated.

I should say that there have been many others who have encouraged me, by offering suggestions, trading gear, donating short lengths of different ropes to test with, etc.. Tom D. and his brother had a very early OAR demo and I enjoyed meeting Tom when he came to visit. Thank you Gary Storrick for purchasing a very early OAR for your collection, it helped keep the ball rolling on this endeavor. Thanks to Eric for his support, and Brian in the UK who has been using a two arm OAR (DdRT only) constantly for over a year now. and to Caleb, an arborist who lives locally and has been subjected to this obsession on more than one occasion. Thanks to Mac for recently testing the Bulldog Bone for me. I cannot remember every ones names who have helped, but thanks to all.

Wow cool to hear the background info.. History is full of examples of two people developing parallel ideas at the same time totally independent of one another. (Written of in the old book, Think And Grow Rich for one.) If you have an idea and it's important to you to be first with it don't let any moss grow under your feet while you mull it over is a point that stands out in my mind.

Well, I have a demo compact Bulldog Bone made, which I intend to send out as a traveling demo for the treehouse. The first stop will be Paul, and then if anyone is interested to try it out, it can be sent from person to person. Perhaps as it travels the user could post a comment on where it has traveled and how he finds the function of the Bulldog Bone.

Thanks, Gordon

just received my demo OAR in the mail today. Put it on a piece of Imori and WOW it is smooth as silk. Cannt wait to climb on it. Thanks Gordon for the split pin retainers, I feel way better about them than the E clips:).

I will report my findings here soon and will be ready to send this on in no less than a year or so ;)

IMG_0938.JPG Paul has called me and wants to see a swivel locking side link on the bottom arm also, which I will add moving forward. There are three demo Bulldog bones being used and Paul has one. I plan on sending him a swivel locking link to install on his before he sends it on, and retro fit the others. Here it is pictured on mine.

Now thats what I call instant gratification!! I make 1 call and can already see tangible results8) That makes me feel WAY better, thanks.

Surveyor you posted this in an old thread I came across. Do you know if the bulldog bone would respond the same way to a shock load?

"It seems it would be good to have an ascender which would slip for a ways in a controlled manner under a shock load, which is in fact what happened when I shock loaded my OAR ascender."

Back