Bulldog Bone

Welcome to TreeHouse JB. You can order from Surveyor. Click on the his forum name "surveyor" and from the choices that pop up click on "private message." Put in a title, tell him what you want in the body of the message and your off.

Everyone must be busy working.....been a little quiet in here...lol.. so any of you guys out there that have purchased or tried out the Bone have any suggestions on rope that you use , I am climbing with Vortex Hot and am wondering if anyone else has used the same. Just to upfront I have not yet acquired a bone yet but putting aside a little cash here and there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do now make an adjustable Bulldog Bone. The threaded Bollard can be adjusted in or out using a captive SS 10-32 machine screw, much like the adjustment of the chain tension on a chainsaw.

IMG_1881_zpszynitoes.jpg

I did it in house conditions. We say: "Made on the knee" :)

This is a prototype. However, it works fine :)

Powered by ropes 10, 11, 12 mm. And without any preliminary adjustments.

Now Bulldog absolutely omnivorous. :D

With the parts that are subjected to rope friction made out of something else, I hope.

Good.
I wouldn't like to see you falling down, Andreij.
I enjoy the stuff you post a lot.

Andrej, your translation device is making this really hard to understand.
Man, If I had known I would meet you, I would have put more effort into the two years of Russian, I had in college.

You consider it's a bad idea? It is dangerous to life?
No, Stig worries about the wear of the soft metals which change the part's shape and eventually impairs the function of your device, leading to some troubles (at least).
Your idea looks fine to me. Just find a hard enough brass, I know there are many different brass alloys.

Thank you! In the near future I'll do it out of brass.

That looks like an excellent idea and mod, Andreij! I agree with Stig and would think that making it from something like 7075 aluminum would be much better than brass.

The new part that you have created has a very large contact patch. Making it from a material that can quickly dissipate heat would seem a logical choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have made an elongated bollard in the past for the Bone, made from aluminum 7075, that is more lozenge shaped, with rounded ends. There is a recent picture posted at http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/compact-bulldog-bone.28246/page-194, that the climber who has been using it for over a year, put up in the Bulldog Bone thread, showing his two Bones on two lines. The Lozenge shaped bollard is short enough so that you can turn it around inside the top arm, to the other side if one side wears too much.

Making it from a material that can quickly dissipate heat would seem a logical choice.
I agree, and the copper is the best at this game. The brass is a copper alloys, so it shouldn't be far from it on this point.
I don't know about the wear resistance between aluminum and brass.

I don't see a concern about breaking the brass part. The plumbing fittings are almost all made in brass and they can take a serious stress when screwed together. I don't saw many of them breaking under the wrench. The load on the Maximalist's part is nearly nothing beside a vigorous tightening of a conical shaped fitting.

Back