Hassled while climbing in public the other day

Like I said. People in general like chaos and drama. I could have clearly analyzed That situation an known he wasn't doing any wrong and left him be. Like I said. Drama and chaos attract those kind of people looking for altercation. Some people sometimes need to feel sacure again so they try to big boy others. :big-dance2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's those pics. It's clear i was pretty much asking to get messed with ha

treepublic01.png

Nevermind them high voltage lines, they're alot further than 10ft from the canopy
treepublic02.png

At the time i was climbing traffic was backed up in every direction, lots of spectators..

B Diggety: That sucks man, sorry to hear about that. By the way man, you're going to do really well as a working arborist--if that's even your goal. Man, at the company that I work for, we'd kill to get our hands on any new-guy who hat that kind of incentive.

Yep, that's what im trying to do and how i feel about it. I also bought a chainsaw to gain some chainsaw experience and an ISA Study Guide. Gotta invest in yourself right?

I've never had a "no" when I've asked permission from private forests. At the Castle where we work and their forests we have carte blnche to climb anything at any time for the fun of it.
I've found that in State and municipal areas it is better to just fly under the radar.
If caught, we just play dumb.

Never had any trouble so far, but when we climb something notable in State forest, like when we took 10 people up in the tallest tree in Scandinavia last year, we take a lot of care not to be seen.
In that case we bivouaked near the tree and did the climb at sunup ( 4 AM) when the forest was completely deserted.

A camo coloured acces rope ( Snakebite!) helps or simply pull your rope up after you.
In a dense canopy you can hide a lot of climbers as long as they don't yell to each other.

My apprentice and I ended a job harvesting grafting stock from ash trees at 2 PM right next to the 3rd largest 3 in the country. So we climbed that, even though it is next to a very trafficked path.
Simply didn't leave anything under the tree and pulled our rope up after us.
Probably 50 people passed right underneath without noticing theat we were having a good time above them.

That certainly was not a Ninja climb.

Nearly all the municipal parks that I know of will allow arborist get-togethers, and their related activities. All with due process of course. Proof of insurance is the biggest.

Now, going out on your own, in a municipal park, in broad daylight, is going to attract attention like what you encountered. Rarely does it not.

As for my climbing in the State and National parks, 30-40 years ago, I always keep a low profile. Hike in early, don't draw attention, get out without a trace. Out of many such climbs I was cited twice and advised on a couple other occasions. One incident turn hostile.

For the times I was discovered all such incidences happened only because of who I was with: being either noisy in the trees, bragging to others about what we were doing, or inviting a whole slew of their friends to come and watch, which for me soured the whole experience.

My best climbs in the old-growth where always the ones by myself. When you're alone, without any distractions, you truly become part of it. It's almost a religious experience for me.

Yes, indeed, anyone who has observed Jerry's career, knows that he has done it. It's a good time to stop.

Ha this is pretty funny. So im at work yesterday and I go to pull my ipod out of my pocket and find the card dude gave me. Turns out he was the city arborist! ISA certified and all, it was good i was polite. Now it makes sense why he gave me his card(was odd to me):lol:

....my standard answer to questions from strangers on the ground is "Go frig yourself" ...has brought varied answers / results....maybe it's Snowmaker training affecting the rest of my life but when climbing I just don't want to hear static

Thank you, this cracked me up.

Back