Better mid line knot

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
Anyone have a suggestion for a better mid line knot than the Alpine Butterfly, one that won't seize up as much after heavy loading? Thanks!

If you can, put a stick in the part of the knot that cinches. After heavy loading, remove the stick and you can undo the knot much easier.

For what use, Jay? I use a bowline-on-a-bight frequently. Easy to untie, regardless of load.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I started working with a guy that uses a portable winch for pulling trees. Portable in that it is on a wheeled carrier that you anchor. I was kind of skeptical, but it works quite well actually, with a block for changing direction, much quicker than using the Masdaam puller. It has a clutch. You can regulate the pull with both a throttle for power and a speed mechanism. The cable length isn't long enough, so also using rope and attaching midline. I figure about 3/4-1 ton pull. Seizing or slipping is no good with the knot. I haven't tried a clove hitch for that application.. I couldn't find a description of a Carter's hitch on the web. The butterfly works, but untying can be more chore than desired. The rope attaches midline to the winch cable hook. Various rope length is often required per each tree location, so frequently untying and retying. Lots of pull trees with the current job.

Bowline on a bite. Just make sure you tie it right or it will bite down hard and be a real pita to undo

Cats paw Jay with a half hitch as a back up. Use it all the time as a quick tie off over trailer balls and winch hooks. Happy to make a demo for you if it will help.

Time to learn the Bowline on a Bight, Jay. Works a charm. Pull the world off it, and any arthritic woman could still untie it. Honest.

I was gonna ask you something about a certain saw-mod, but I forgot what it was. :|:

Oh, but I DO have a blower question.... I've got this Echo blower on my truck. I hogged out the muffler on it and it's been blowing a gale for over two-years now, however, just recently, I can't re-start the stupid thing once it's warm.:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X I've got to wait for the stupid thing to get cold again, so that the carb can be choked, to enable it to start again. :X:X:X. What the deuce?

It seems all knots can get jammed up and become hard to untie when pulled through the forest with a winch. For what you are doing you might want to use a prusic loop with a ring or snap on the end.

It seems all knots can get jammed up and become hard to untie when pulled through the forest with a winch. For what you are doing you might want to use a prusic loop with a ring or snap on the end.

Ever "jammed-up" a Bowline on a Bight?

Some new methods to try today, thanks guys for the help! Bowline on a bight was not in the bag of tricks, looks good to know. I think I have it, Joel, but I'll take advantage of your offer if confusion sets in.

when i rip out stumps double bowline on a bight works well over the hook.
its a fair bit of rope to handle but manageable

Prusiks slip and grab and melt to much for my liking when using the truck and mb just a bit on the goods.
but yeah nice option with comealongs

when i rip out stumps double bowline on a bight works well over the hook.
its a fair bit of rope to handle but manageable

Prusiks slip and grab and melt to much for my liking when using the truck and mb just a bit on the goods.
but yeah nice option with comealongs

The BOAB works great when both legs of the line share the load equally and less so with loading just one. Prusiks for rigging require the same thought and considerations you would give to a climbing system for them to work well. The rope can also be spiked behind the prusik and the spike will not see the full weight of the load.

You still have to attach the porty to the rope.
How will you do that w/o a knot?

One thing that makes a HUGE difference in the untieability of a knot is how well you dress and set it before applying force.

But then y'all knew that already.

Started off the day with the bowline on a bight, but the day's schedule was sorely interrupted when one of the trees being pulled had too much side drift and hit a a tall dead Pine, one we hadn't got to yet. The Pine broke at the stump and went west and smashed into a nearby roof. It didn't seem so nearby until the dead tree went that way. Damage to the roof edge and some busted roof tiles, and a gouge in the plaster wall. Had to go to the town office to get the phone number of the house's owner, it is a second home, and a new one. :cry: Covered the roof with a sheet and the carpenter that built it is coming out tomorrow to assess damage. A lousy day and easily enough preventable. A few guys must know the feeling. I'll get back to the knot after the dust clears. Thanks a lot for the help.

Back