Better mid line knot

... Yep , sucks. Did the right thing after though which is the sign of a true professional. Unlike the Florida crew that flopped a crane onto occupied house , left operator stuck in cab while the rest jumped in the box truck and fled ! A little carpentry is cheap compared to hurting someone

Use the porty as the mid line attachment to the rope and hook the winch line to the porty.

DOH!
Sorry, my brain wasn't working right, I guess.

Jay, we smashed a hole in a shed roof by a summer cottage a couple of years back.
Since it was raining, we immediately got a carpenter to come and repair it, didn't have time to do it ourselves.
3 months later I got a call from the owner, and figured he called to complain about something.
Not so, he wanted us to do a large trim job at the housing complex where he lives.
He said anybody can make a mistake, and he had been impressed with the way we handled it.

Still doesn't feel good when it happens, though.

I used the alpine butterfly....ONCE. Never again for heavy loading. Switched to the Bowline on a bight. Much better. Super easy to remove when finished.

Joel

I love watching someone not familiar with the bowline on a bight–BOAB–try to untie it the long way...

It's all too easy to turn it into a cinching knot if tied incorrectly. Looks okay, will do the job but it a pain to untie.

Hatchet knots! Mid-line knots that cinch-up under heavy loads can end up being weak spots in said rope afterwards.

Anybody here ever see the drop tests that Yale does and TCI. All brand new rope failing catastrophically with safe working loads, but the loading was dynamic. Dropped like 12 feet. Snap!

Try this. It seem odd to me, as big as an outfit as Yale Rope is I could have done a far better video than this.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WDIo-WZkSaM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back