How many offer Plant Health Care/IPM as a service

ValleyArborist

TreeHouser
I wanted to see how many of you included plant pest management as part of your list of services. Herbicide work included. I'm interested in how people in different parts of the world and in different markets manage this aspect of the business, what kind of equipment and application systems you use, etc.

Round up and tordon is about as far as I go. EAB systemic injections are almost impossible to sell around here even to the super rich. I have one custy who treats her ash trees because they have sentimental value to her. I use a pump sprayer and a paint brush for the herbicide.

It is a big part of logging today to get the new plantings going well.
That includes weedwhackre work and spraying, so yes!
About a month every year, in fact.

We offer IPM. We use anything from hand pumps and backpacks to larger skid mounted units for spraying. Equipment and chemical application all depends on the pest being targeted. Always try to be safe and precise. If you are looking to buy larger spray equipment, I'd recommend talking to Warne Chemical in Rapid City, SD. They are pretty helpful, and put together quality spray equipment. I wouldn't buy anything without a Honda GX motor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Bigtwig, I have a pretty good background in IPM, I'm wanting to make it a larger part of my currently very small, on the side tree care business. I worked for Bartlett in both the Washington DC area and the Pittsburgh PA area, and ran IPM routes in both places. Now that I have moved to West Va, I work as a utility forester, but still do tree care on weekends. The ultimate goal is to work for myself full time, and I would like to do IPM full time while the season is in and tree pruning and small removals in the off season. I see IPM as more profitable with less overhead, but of course the market and clientele have to be right for it to work.

The last few years I got really in depth with the Arborjet/Quik jet systems. They don't work for everything but I really like the idea of them, and would probably try to make treatments like that a big part of the program.

....won't touch it myself , a choice I've made. Where I grew up in suburban NY seems a large part of the biz. Had a helper who worked on Long Island with big outfit.... Including Astral knockdowns for outdoor parties the spray list never ended....some $$$ to be made

I haven't committed whether or not to take my business that route. I hit hWA trees and the occasional birch borer issue but it ends there. I don't want to overstep my bounds without the education to back it.

Taking the step makes you learn, it's amazing what I learned/ am learning about trees when you go down that road

Yep, it keeps you constantly learning. We have been building up more and more plant health care every year, and it's been a good journey so far. It sure is a lot easier on the back.

The last few years I got really in depth with the Arborjet/Quik jet systems. They don't work for everything but I really like the idea of them, and would probably try to make treatments like that a big part of the program.

VA, can you elaborate a bit on your Aborjet/Quik jet experience? We are very intested in them and plan on purchasing in the very near future. I much prefer hearing from somone that has actually used and has first hand knowledge of the products than just the sales hype.

Sure. I've used both Quik-jet and Arborjet systems. The Arborjet has been mainly Tree-age injections for emerald ash borer, and I've also used it to inject Lepitect ( acephate) for obscure scale in oaks. The Quik-jet has been miticides, insecticides and fungicides on various species. Both use the Stinger injector along with tree plugs which are inserted into the root flare( amount varies based on dbh). The plugs have a rubber stopper prevents liquid from entering or exiting the hole once fitted. You use the supplied bit to drill the holes about an inch or so, then tap the plug into place. Place the stinger IVs into the plugs, pump up the pressure and release the valve, and the liquid starts flowing into the tree. Uptake is usually fast but is dependent on species, condition, size, and the weather. The quick jet is the same but you simply pull the trigger on the gun to give it a calibrated dose per injection site.

Pros: less mess, no need to spray, no motorized equipment, no huge bulk of chemicals, no mixing of chemicals. Good way to get product into tree and treatment can last several years.

Cons : plugs are expensive at a dollar each. Can be unsightly on high profile trees and on smaller trees you are limited to how many injections you can do cleanly in its lifetime. Severly stressed trees are not good candidates for this as uptake may not be as good. There can be lots of little pieces it break or lose. Rubber gaskets an o rings blow out and parts kits are PRICEY.

Thanks for that response. We used the Mauget injectables back when they first came out with less than stellar results. Did a lot of spraying back then with Lindane, Malathion and Carbaryl. Hated it and have no intentions messing around with spray rigs ever again.

We are looking at the new Quik-jet air. EAB will get here eventually but right now we have lots of other problems that could benefit from a good closed system. Have you tried injecting any of the coniferous species? If so with what and did it work for you?

A lot has changed since the lindane and carbaryl days. Rigs still have a place in my opinion.

Around here, spraying to runoff with carbaryl for pine beatle is still SOP. I think if injectables can prove their worth, spray rigs will have a limited future. At least in residential areas and in regards to trees specifically.

I've been offering mainly EAB injections the last couple of years and have found much success for several reasons.

Obviously, financial: Profit margins are higher and risk is usualy much lower.

Not many companies offer PHC around me (I'm actually the only one who does EAB for like 40 miles or something). This opens the door wide open to get onto a proprety and then tell them about all our services. People will call me for injections and then I mention we also do pruning or removals and they'll kind if go "Well then while you're here..."

Most clients who are willing to pay for PHC are people who like their trees and want a pro. Also they usually have lots of $.

People turn to you as a reference. As mentionned, this forces you to know your stuff and learn about all kinds of things. Once I figured out most of the pest related problems of my area, I look much more serious than the guy that just doesn't have an answer.

Don't forget about an Airspade which is another great tool. I don't sell many jobs, maybe 1-2 a year, but they're mostly on high end landscapes and are nicely profitable.

I'd go for a respirator. I would like to get into a good air excavator. Done manual with a small compressor. SLOW, but the air help significantly. I'd like to buy a large rolling shop compressor that runs on 110v, and build a small air sprayer.

Tree buzz has a thread about shop made rcx tools, fwiw.

If an employee were to get hurry using one, your butt would be on the line, but for about $100 and shop time, sounds like at least a way to do a toe in.

I focus on cultural practices, and refer chemicals to The local spray company. I used enough spray in the past killing tamarisk/ salt cedar in the desert. We have fungal issues much more than insect issues, though I could definitely learn more.

Sean, in my experience soil issues are number one out there, it's hard to get people to understand tough. One analogy I've been using lately is this: "Someone who smokes and has a very poor diet all his life develops a cancer. He later dies and people say it's because of his cancer. Well, I would say it's more cause he smokes and ate junk all his life."

Manion's decline spiral at it's finest!

I just checked out that thread at treebuzz. Haven't been there in a long time, that place looks totally different. I don't care for the new look.

Interesting thread though. I've used both the Air Spade and the Air Knife. The Air Knife ran off of those 375 cfm compressors and it was like firing a 12 gauge shotgun. I would be interested in building a homemade one but like you say above, it's your ass if an employee gets hurt and not being an engineer, that's a good possibility with something homemade like that. Pieces flying off and unhooked hoses flying around wildly are not my idea of a good time.

Back