Husky air filtration.

Dave Shepard

Square peg, round world.
I don't want to hijack another thread, so I'll put this one up. There is always a back and forth regarding air filtration with chainsaws. I bought a new 395XP this spring, and have 22 or 23 tanks of fuel through it. This is the first time I've had the cover off of the filter, and it's so clean, I think it would have had more dust on it if it had sat on the dealers shelf all summer. I never find any dirt on my Husky filters. Lovin' the Air Injection! I find that it's more important to take the flywheel shroud off once a year or so and get all the crud that's been spun out of the air scraped off of it.

20140829_145110.jpg

Best way to keep filters clean is to produce chips rather than dust.
Dust and oil mist makes a bad combo.

I tested a saw with a florescent liquid similar to oil and got to see others run it.
Red light and you could see the mist we work in.

I love these centrifugal intake saws. I've only cleaned the filter a couple times in the last few years on my MS441. My 576 XP keeps it's filter very clean as well.

Cut this up, burned up a gallon of 32:1 saw gas, filter was still basically clean at the end. . .

DSC03970.JPG

I wonder why Stihl can't get with the program?
Have you run any of the new Stihls with spring suspension and their new air cleaning system?
I don't think there is much difference today.
I can log full time for 2 weeks with the 441 and not have to clean my filter.

Under filter maintenance, the manual for my husky k970 construction saw says to check the filter of you notice a drop in power... That was pretty impressive to me.

Under filter maintenance, the manual for my husky k970 construction saw says to check the filter of you notice a drop in power... That was pretty impressive to me.
Yes, and they cook constantly... Not to mension K750 and don't get me going on the K760, that is just horrible!

Fwiw - I've found the huskies great in green timber, but in dry wood the smaller huskies don't seem to keep out the fines as well as the 241/261/362/441 stihls.
The 346/550/562 just don't match up to the newer stihls in really harsh conditions.

Fwiw - I've found the huskies great in green timber, but in dry wood the smaller huskies don't seem to keep out the fines as well as the 241/261/362/441 stihls.
The 346/550/562 just don't match up to the newer stihls in really harsh conditions.
There are different filters to each saw. If you haven't you can order a finer nylon filter or flocked.

What cooks them? Overcompensating carbs?

I will say bad restricting airflow/maintenance on the older, The airfiltersystems are not bad, just not maintained.

The 760 I think it is more design issue as it has only one paper filter that can't be cleaned.
It should be replaced and those cutting wet replace them daily to keep them going or they go kaboommm

But apparently not for the 543, it seems to be nylon only. But as it's only likely usage is not for the firewood collecting duties where dead wood and dust is likely it's not necessarily relevant.

And anyway - zenoah.

How strange, I was just tickling around a few saws ready for tomorrow and the husky's air filters are all like new.
But the stihl's needed tapping out. That answers that question.
Learn something every day.
Although I still don't seem to have learnt about mixing red and white wine in significant quantities.

Folks with those stihl 261 and their new filter system talk it up. Talking 1 guy using all day all week type too. I think he is here also.

543 is just a zenoah 4300 or as we call them here redmax saw made in japan to husky little specs

The mesh wore out on my Stihl 020, so about half the filter is an open air shot into the carb. I've been running it that way for a couple of years, the carb adjusted accordingly. I regularly clean out any dust buildup in the carb compartment, but I have little doubt that some gets into the cylinder. A violation of proper maintenance etiquette, but no problems that I am aware of. An ongoing experiment/lazy. One of these days I might get a new filter. What damage can a little fine wood dust do to a piston and cylinder? As I say, a couple of years now and regular use, the saw continues to run solid, I think liking the additional air. Been breathing the dust myself for many many years. :lol: I wouldn't say that filters are overrated, but it has me wondering in clean conditions.

Cleaning the filters out is nearly a daily thing for my beloved 46's. I don't mind my shop is set up for it. Saw gets clamped to vise, sharpened and cleaned. Part of the routine. Oh yah and some of these 46's are pushing 20 years old. Stihl lasts despite it's 'crappy' filtration.

How strange, I was just tickling around a few saws ready for tomorrow and the husky's air filters are all like new.
But the stihl's needed tapping out. That answers that question.
Learn something every day.
Although I still don't seem to have learnt about mixing red and white wine in significant quantities.

Ahhh... You ASS Mick, Even AMERICANS are smart enough not to do that. I had even heard rumors that you, at one time, were even silly enough to have mixed Guiness with red wine! Now really..... And to think that you call yourself an Elder!!

Back