HEY ALL YOU NEW MEMBERS...A QUESTION.

Hi to all youse new guys.
Neat to see folks posting who hail from other parts of the world.
I'm Dave.

Ok, here I am!
I'm new and this is my first post!
And I'm new in forums too, so I don't know how they work!!

Welcome.

Join right in. No sweat. Just be good people. Simple.

The "UNREAD POSTS" link (top, left under TREEHOUSE, and WHAT'S NEW links) is a useful way to see new posts. When there is the list of new posts, you can click the little icon to the left of the name of the discussion thread in order to go to the first unread post.

There is a ton of info out there. If you need direction to info you don't find, ask. People are often able to find a thread with tons and tons of info already discussed.

What's your story?

I'm a self-employed arborist, climbing, pruning, felling, a tiny bit of residential logging. My name is Sean.

Again, join right in. People are chill, here.

hello, my name is Pfanner man and i'm a climbaholic, it's been 4 hours since my last climb. i had a friend who got my started in my early 20's when i lived in PA, next thing you know i was in NYC and the years have just flown by. i climbed everything i could, i just, i just couldn't get enough, now i'm out in Cali, chasing the climb, i don't know how to stop :pppp

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
UUZJO3W.gif

hello, my name is Pfanner man and i'm a climbaholic, it's been 4 hours since my last climb. i had a friend who got my started in my early 20's when i lived in PA, next thing you know i was in NYC and the years have just flown by. i climbed everything i could, i just, i just couldn't get enough, now i'm out in Cali, chasing the climb, i don't know how to stop :pppp

Fear not your body will tell you when to stop but from what I have heard it's not until many years of addiction.

I was tied in three ways: two flip-lines with one of them wrapped completely around and my SRT set up was choked off in a running bowline below the flip-lines. As for the spurs (relatively short, i.e. utility pole size gaffs) they both kicked out for the full "Yee-Haw" rodeo moment. But I was tied in so completely (see above) that I don't think I moved down at all. The big factor was that I had the top basically tied off at the top to a figure-of-eight descender so that I was the one controlling the lowering. I had a person on the ground who was slightly challenged with just untying the knot so I had the shock of a full on "fall factor 2" to contend with. I have since started adding a munter hitch in series to the figure-of-eight descender without tying either of them off. It seems to add a bit of a dynamic element to the set-up. I am looking at getting a small port-a-wrap type bit of gear sooner than later. As for "no stubs" I am assuming that you mean no short stubs of cut off branches, possibly to stand on or to catch a sliding down flip-line. If so then the answer is that there were no "stubs" that I was standing on but there were several scattered down the pole to catch the flip-lines, etc. if I had start to slide down. I do have a good and bad habit of leaving a lot of 10 cm long stubs on the branches I cut especially if using a hand-saw (so as not to cut the rigging line when I cut them). I have since started a few regime changes: purchased a set of Buckingham spurs with "tree gaffs", stopped locking off the lowering system when I have it up with me(see above), climb higher up the pole to make the cut in small diameter section, remove more branches above cut, use a face cut and back cut method rather than snap cut, get an assistant, when I can, who can run the lowering system down on the ground when possible to reduce the fall factor from 2 to a small fraction (say fall factor 0.05 if I have 20 metres of rope down to the bottom anchor/lowering device, which is sort of typical with a diameter of 10 cm at the cut such that the cut top is some 4.5 metres long in one of these 25 metre or so trees). This is good for me to write this up so as to crystallize the ideas and hopefully get some professional feed-back on the situation. Sort like the guides' meetings in the heli-ski industry.

I never leave any stubs, ever. I don't want anything that could catch my rope or anything I'm roping.

I agree. I received two broken ribs from a stub and a wild ride. Never again.
Since you were controlling the decent there is no one to blame but yourself. Wasn't to bad of a rodeo up there.

There's a thread around here discussing going for a ride, I'm in the leg straight and push on the spar camp. I can't get into the bent knees hugging the wood idea.

Ah the "Stub or not to stub" question. Initially the sight of them as I was wobbling around some 10's of metres up the stick was reassuring. But as rigging experience grew the nuisance value of the stubs becomes glaringly obvious. So I am increasingly moving to the "not to stub" party. But I try not to be too, too dogmatically inclined, with the exception of chain saw use (e.g. always two hands on the saw, stop it between cuts, keep it below shoulder level).

Shoulder level?

Uhhhhhhh.... :/:

Attachments

• dead pine 038_edited.jpg
    dead pine 038_edited.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 48
Back