HEY ALL YOU NEW MEMBERS...A QUESTION.

Well, what a great tree to get your start on! That limb you're on just seems to go on forever.

There is a species of oak called the Live oak here in the states, which I've only seen in photographs. It doesn't get hugely tall, but it has a really huge, wide spreading crown. I'd love to see one up close, someday. I think they exist mostly in the southern US.

Tim

That limb was the one that we had to learn limb walking on and practice our 5m limb walk. Plus the whole time you were in it there were 4 other climbers there.

They are a good way to get a grasp of the idea of arb but in practice it was to much information in a short space of time. I went from not touching a saw ever to 4 weeks later having ground saw tickets and climbing tickets and a week of that was dragging brash as work experience. But the Army paid so I was never going to say no.

Good move. An actual apprenticeship program would be close to the ideal situation, in which an apprentice works closely with an experienced journeyman for his whole training life of three or four years. It is an expensive system, but you end up with a pretty well trained workforce that is able to pass the trade on to successive generations. The length of the program helps to keep people safe, as they're not trying to make a new guy do work properly done by a much more experienced person.

Tim

The company I work for now does have that sort of programme where they will take on 2 young lads a year and slowly train them as well as send them on courses to gain qualifications slowly. Their programme lasts about 2 years I think.
But not many will do that here.

Hi Ian, there were quite a few Army leavers on my course at Merrist Wood, seemed like they had an arrangement for Army guys to transition to civilian jobs...

I have a feeling you'll do just fine Ian, both here in the TreeHouse and in the arb field.

When you get the odd spare minute, maybe peruse the archive threads (link at the bottom of this page), look to the climbing, and the felling and rigging forums there...some great stuff, both entertaining but most of all a huge resource of knowledge and discussion from past years.

Thanks Burnham
I'm slowly getting through some of the threads on here I think that I have about 500 unread posts now. It started at about 900 so slowly it goes. But you are right there are some really good posts here and I look forward to being able to join in some of these discussions

I have been there a couple of times, but it was an educated guess really. Richard has pretty much cornered the market on army leavers, iv had a couple come through myself.

I know it is and i hear it loud and clear.Well I am currently working all the overtime I can get plus any jobs I get for myself like a nice eucalyptus this weekend. While the wife is trying to decide what she wants to do over there as she will have to do something. So right now I am banking everything.

Yes there are a couple of others but he is the main one. He's a really good bloke and a good instructor

He is a good bloke, also makes good use of every penny of resettlement grants. He's built on site accommodation fairly recently, really geared up to service leavers. I was doing tree work on MOD sites a few years ago, and almost every barracks canteen had a kingswood poster up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome to the TreeHouse, Gabriel! Don't be shy about filling out your profile!

Back