HEY ALL YOU NEW MEMBERS...A QUESTION.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is without a doubt my favorite arborist forum on the internet, and I greatly value its existence. Thank you, Butch.

Thank you, my friend. I feel the same way! :beer:

I registered at first so I could see the pics. And I usually prefer to read what others have to say for a while, especially pertaining to something I'm inexperienced with. But I guess it's time. My name's David, born and raised in northeast Georgia. Did a hitch in the navy, moved around, did several mechanical and hvac jobs, then finally moved back home. Started working for a small local tree service(3 man crew) this past December. Started as just groundman, then moved into the bucket about half the time. And for a reason I simply can't recall, I decided I wanted to climb. Came here to soak up all the info I could. There's one you can scratch off the list, masterblaster.

I did a hitch in the Navy too, brother. Welcome to the TreeHouse! Make yourself at home! :beer:

Why do you register and then never post? We're not a bad group. We don't bite and I don't allow flaming, so why are you so hesitant about participating? If you don't make any posts, you'll never be nominated into other hidden forums.

Please - don't be shy to post! The TreeHouse Rocks! :beer:

I'm new to climbing anything taller than telephone poles, I'm afraid of heights, and I don't want you to make fun of me.

Honestly, I don't care if you make fun of me. I'm married, you can't hurt me. I registered to see the pictures. I'm working on the fear of heights thing. Been 70' in a 137' Ohio green ash so far with some rec climbing friends. I was shaking like a poodle pooping peach pits.

Welcome to the TreeHouse, brother. What is your first name? Mine is Butch.

We don't make fun of members here... that's for another place.

Welcome, Flashover. My name is Jim.

I think it is swell that all these new people are asking questions. It means I dont have to ask them. I am still shopping around for a saddle!

Welcome again, with a name like that..........you a firefighter?

Honestly, I don't care if you make fun of me. I'm married, you can't hurt me.

Hello flashover!
I'm also married, (25 yrs into a life sentence; escape is not an option).
They all make fun of me here, but it's ok. I have no feelings left. :D

Hi Butch. I'm Zach. I was half kidding about the making fun part. I've got a lot of respect for folks that can work aloft in all kinds of jobs. Electric lineman, arborist, even folks who just dig climbing trees for fun. I've always been into rigging and equipment for rappeling and climbing, just never really dug the heights part of it. I even tried the "go skydiving, it'll cure your fear of heights" thing. On a side note, if I EVER jump out of another plane, that somebitch is on fire. A lot of fire. I can handle a little fire. I got into treeclimbing when a buddy's cat got treed in January a few years ago. By the time the social media plea got to a guy and his wife somewhat local, the cat had been up 70' in a red oak for a week. The highest temp had been 10° during the daytime. I watched this guy climb out on a limb that I SWEAR from the ground looked like I could break over my knee. It took them five hours to get that cat down. I HAD to try that climbing system.

I was a volunteer firefighter/EMT Basic the part time paid for a while. I've had that flashover604 handle for 20 years. KSV604 was my fire departments call sign on the radio. I just hit 10 years with my wife. Sure went quick. I have a lot of questions, but so far folks have beat me to them so I can kick back and read. I have a New Tribe Basic saddle but it's going to be resigned to zip line use in exchange for a NT tree fox saddle shortly.

This is a good place to be Zach. I hear ya about the plane thing :|:

Air Force buddies talked me into it. I hadn't smoked in three months. Had two before I made it back to the car. Absolutely terrifying. Your first thought is: "When is he gonna pull that chute?" This is followed up IMMEDIATELY by "What if he did fnd it just didn't open?" It goes downhill from there until that canopy pops above your head.

Sounds awful! Dad was airborne and he liked it. A guy I work for has a son in the Boise Smoke Jumpers.

I live the parachute thing through them. As long as it is not big timber or water or rocks, I figure I will keep driving my plane until we come to a complete stop!

Back