HEY ALL YOU NEW MEMBERS...A QUESTION.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had to hinge it down and catch it.

I say hinge... dead pines don't hinge all that well!

Attachments

• dead pine 041.jpg
    dead pine 041.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 50
As for my personal "rules of engagement" it should be noted that I am usually alone, am an effectively non-speaker of the national language, Japanese, (the telephone is the worst... face to face I get by), my usual place for doing this tree work is at most a few kilometres from my home, but, and it is a big but, the probable rescuers of me up 20 metres in a tree, and not real close to a road, is the police mountain rescue team that is based in the nearest city, Chino, about 40 kilometres away. The police have an excellent helicopter cable winch system for mountain rescue. The catch is that the weather has to be safe to fly in. The mountain I am on is called "Kirigamine" which translates as "Ridge of Mist" and it is apply named. Have you ever been in a helicopter in below legal flying visibilty. I have several times and it is very, very, very "interesting" as in scary, dangerous and difficult. The nearest fire station with a bigger truck, long ladder, is about 25 kilometres away and what would they do if they couldn't get near me. And on and on and on it goes. So I attempt to act accordingly. "My work is poor, but at least it's slow." Thank you ya' all for the feed-back. One of the things that I personally like about the tree work is that, unlike mountain guiding, especially mechanized skiing... heli-skiing, snow cat-skiing... I don't have to be nice to somebody, who may or may not be acting in a dangerous manner, just for the money. But the tree work is just as intense with the same sort of unrelenting focus, without letting the tunnel vision creep in. My occasional 72 year old Japanese assistant is rather amazed at the intensity of my focus when doing this trick with a rope and saw up in a tree next to a house. Kneedle Knoddle Knew, Roddy

Dear MasterBlaster, With regards to your photographs demonstrating the "hinge down and catch it" technique: I, with my admittedly relatively limited "chain saw experience", previously stated self-imposed "rules of engagement", etc. would have been up there using my trusty SILKY "Zubat" (240 mm blade) hand saw with probably a "tether" to catch the branch. But then, as the famous French alpinist was oft to say, "I climb alone." with a certain Gallic sneer (his not mine... I would be using the more Celtic dour mutter). Must rush maddly off in all directions and do a bit of "swamping". Kneedle Knoddle Knew, McGoo {"He's not depressed, he's just Scottish." ~ psychological analysis}. N.B. See also "...work is poor... slow." vision statement

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't like dulling my Silky on larger deadwood.

I've never been big on using a handsaw on limbs over a couple inches...

Dear MasterBlaster, To paraphrase Robert Service: "There are strange things done under the eastern sun". But surely you jest kind sir. The scene of the crime was next to a weekend house (out of photograph on the left), that was down-hill of the trees, with the longer branches over the roof. There are delicate window structures at ground level, etc. My solution was to tether the branch, hand-saw cut, descend (SRT: Rope Wrench, Valdotain tresse), tether a lower portion of tethered branch, cut this, un-tether and chuck it to a safe location, climb back up and un-tether and chuck the rest of the branch. N.B. review vision statement of Teeny Tiny Logging Co. Thank you for your interest. P.S. I followed the story of the Big Rigging with YouTube video. Inspiring to say the least. "We're here to log... the dog." for sure. Must "rush madly off in all directions" (see Canadian humourist Stephen Leacock), and pack the old kit bag for my peregrination to The Great White North {that would be yer Canada, eh(?).}. Cheerio, Roddy the Beavirrel (curious mixture of a beaver and a squirrel)

Your posting style is similar to another fella ive come across on the worldwideweb,he goes by the handle 'treespyder' or something of the like. Good to have ya bud,welcome.

Very in depth and hits on multiple aspects in single post,could just be cause I've been seeing thier posts more in the past few weeks vs never before...

Back