550xp or 362

brendonv

Tree Hugger
Need a new saw for logging this year. All I've got right now is two 460s, one 660, two 200ts.

Do i go husky 550xp heated or stihl 362 heated. 16" on the husky 20" on the stihl both 3/8"s.

We cut alot of small birch, 12" and under. Occasional 20"+ tree. And all the way down to 3" trees.

Was gonna do a poll but don't think its ipad friendly.

Cmon man, I want to log with you this winter.

562 heated. 550 is a hair light unless you are cutting light pulp. 562 will spank the hell out of a 362 and has nice ergonomics as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chris, ive ran harlans 562. Sure is a bad bitch.

Do stihl bars fit huskys? Is there adapters? Ive never owned a husky. Kinda like throwing a chevy into my mix of fords.

They can be modified, but it's not worth the hassle!
I'll second the 562 from what I've read of it and the 362.
The 550 is the new 346xp with a little more torque, but an 18" bar is about all it's good for.

My 562 crappin on me left a bad taste but I'm trying to be fair and open to it now that it's fixed. I was tempted to move it for a 362 but I might as well run it and see how it goes now after hearing u guys rave about it.

I have a new 550XP, woods ported by Mitch Weber (mweba on sawhogz and AS) It's sporting a 20" bar, and .325 Stihl chisel at the moment. Pulls it with aplomb, but I think it's not as fast as my ported 346 NE, done by Northern Ca logger Jasha Reynolds (treesling'r on AS)

I lost a deal on a 562, very low hours, on AS for $600 with two extra bars and chain...by not getting back to him with money for three days. oh well.....don't really need the 562 as I have an Ed Heard woods ported 357 that rips.

I hage to say i think im gonna go with the 562. Ford owes me some money so once that comes through ill bite the bullet.

Im getting the itch to start logging.

Big ol range man. We have to cut everything marked. This means a 3" tree, or the occasional 24" tree.

Its hard to say mostly prob around 12-18". Depends on which side of the hill.

Oh that's 562 material all day long. Maybe ask about the HD dawg if it exists. In that kind of wood, you have all the power you need, all the rev you need for limbing, and the ergonomics and weight and balance make it an all day saw in the woods.

The 562 has a low center of gravity too and rotates side to side nicely without a ton of wrist fatigue. Really nice for aggressive limbing.

Cool! Squish. I have a wrap on my 460 and hate it. We need to cut low low for the skidder and forwarder.

So low that a wrap bar is in the way? Sounds like a lot of filing to me. Anyway, wrap handle bar allows you to cut either direction from either side. It gives you the most options, same reason I use them exclusively residential too. What's not to like?

How hilly is it? I'm surprised they don't have a track loader with a bunching shear in there, unless it's too hilly.

How do full wraps ride in front of the seat in a skidder? It would seem the saw wouldn't sit flush to the seat mount. I never used one while logging.

We never had a saw in the cab, not that I ran skidder much. I did some though and observed it quite a bit. I was a hillside pig, five days a week. But I know that nothing like that was ever carried in the cab legally around here anyways because it would be strictly against compo regs. Rollovers have been common around here, so no loose or potentially lethal things like a saw in the operators cab.

Back