550xp or 362

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Soooo its def better starting on high idle. But why oh why do you have to move it to choke just to get it to high idle if they know your going to need that to hot start. No wonder why i never owned a husky. Hot damn.

I love the feel of it though. Sometimes it sounds like its unsure of where to tune itself to. If that makes sense.

I hate all purpose switches. That was the No.2 reason I went with the 395 this spring instead of a 660.

What's not to like? Stihl is simple, with a husky it sounds like they should offer a course with it or something to suss out the starting arrangements.

Never had a problem with my old Husky saws. The 395 has a blue choke, seems a bit flimsy. Might have to see if the one out of the 394 will fit.

Never had a problem starting a husky starting. Never broke a choke pull lever either. Stihls always started great too provided I cleaned the air filters 9 times that day.

RE the blue choke lever, how much abuse do they take? I dont rig off of them or use them to attach my saw lanyard. Pull on, push off. No more abuse then that. They'll take it just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bleh they are just cheesy. I cant remember cleaning my stihl filter 9 times last month. :P

Actually can care less, Chris. Just saying thats prob one of the reasons i never went husky. Though I haven't touched the stihls the last three days though. Did two days clearing a lot and today four bucket take downs. Its a great saw, but prob wouldn't buy any other model than the 562. Don't know enough and kinda don't wanna know enough thing....

Like i said, an obama motors gm snuck into the group of real trucks two years ago, so i had to scare the stihls a little bit and try a husky. Its all good!

They're all good tools. As far as Im concerned, Im more worried about how sharp the chain is and true the bar is then anything else. Im a die hard Ford guy but at this point in life, I'll take whatever starts when i turn the key. I dont even give a shit anymore.

What's not to like? Stihl is simple, with a husky it sounds like they should offer a course with it or something to suss out the starting arrangements.

Justin: I've only had one Husky in my life, a 395. That thing started on a dime, and was one of the best saws I've ever owned. It's only since Burnham told me how to mod my 660, that a Stihl has even come close. (Might even be better Burnham. I owe you the world for that trick.) I'm convinced that all of this Stihl vs. Husq. garbage is just a bunch of partisan nonsense.

Of course it is.

I just like having fun with it. I love my collection of Stihls and mostly won't change because I like my systems I have set up for making chains and ordering bars. One size. For me a mid-sized saw is a 46. I've lost count of how many I have, but any needed parts for a runner are never more than a look under the bench to strip off a junker. I guess that ship has sailed now though. Although I will say my new(ish) 461 rips. 660's are done here now too, no more available, 661 in stock.

So is the jury still out on the 362? I'm thinkin' about a mid range saw again, as the only cutting I do nowadays is for camp wood. Guess that modded 361 I sold to squashy is still rippin'! :)

Gary

Hindsight being what it is... I should have kept it and sold the 044. :lol:

I just don't have the need for the 044 anymore.

Maybe I'll look for another used 361. I did really like that saw. especially after I had the muffler modded. But when I was still fallin' I never used the dang thing so it sat.

Gary

Is Stihl using spring suspension these days? I think the air filtration and the spring suspension are the two things that really made me go Husky. Otherwise, I think Stihl are great saws. I have great Husky and Stihl support. Three great dealers within 20 minutes. I should get a carb kit for my O36PRO, really liked that saw.

No not that low. I just never get around benefitting from it. Also makes skidder storage a pita. We have a scabbard mounted on the side of the cab.

If you never get around to benefiting from a 3/4 wrap handle, you just plain have never seen how an experienced operator puts that feature to proper use, I'm thinking.

But if you never need to cut on ground that is steep, or has any number of the various obstacles out there to approaching a felling cut from any side, then you might not need one. Willard seems to manage easily, so he must avoid these issues that always seemed to plague me.

That said, I do run my 361 with the standard handlebar. I'd not often fall a tree with it, but for simple bucking it works fine. Limbing, it is OK if you work from the ground, but if you limb from walking atop the trunk, as is the usual around here, the only way to go is with a 3/4 wrap.

Anyway, you can get the job done most times, but you won't enjoy the highest level of ergonomic handling available.

I put my first full wrap on a saw this year. A little off for me at first but I'm learning to maximize my sawing production from angles that were difficult or impossible without one.

Back