More Lombardy poplars!

rbtree

Climbing Up
These two Lombardy poplars were ~100-110 feet tall, and ~3 feet in diameter, so not overly huge,. But they were in a small back yard and over three other yards, so rigging was required. We were able to tip tie and lower the larger lower limbs and leads,, which is much easier than butt lowering lower limbs. The upper limbs and leads were butt hitched. However, it was being able to send the chipper winch line up and attach to the limbs that made it possible for us to do the job in one day. It would have been very tedious if we weren't able to yard the limbs out with the winch.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VHtuK8kKS78" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ben, Since most of our trees are excurrent, I like the vertical format as it allows more of the tree to be in the image at a time. Granted, it does mean lots of blank area on a horizontal monitor. As well, I also am shooting still images at the same time, and don't want to have to rotate the camera.

mY 250 xp is a '97. I think winches add 3000-5000 to the price of a chipper.

Looks like a good climber you have. You did less narrating in this video and I think it made it even nicer. Not saying I don't like to hear you, but with a bit less narrating, I focus better on following the tree play out and not the words themselves. Nice job in a tight spot and those were some NICE tosses at the end where your climber let those freebies fly and put the perfect flip on them in the air. The climber that works for me can flip stuff in the air very well. Spruce and fir removals her usually flips everything so it all lands with the butts the same way. He doesn't seem to use any effort in doing so and no one on the ground has a gripe with it.

That final top which Pat flipped was a ballsy move. Fence and deck each within 5-10 feet of the butt.

However, check starting at about 4:50, where I note that the section is tied a couple feet above the block and that it would be OK. Well, it surely wasn't,as the piece broke and fell, landing in the neighbor's garden, but doing no damage, luckily. Clearly, it should have been marled, meaning the line should have been tied off over about 8-10 feet of the lead, to get it into bigger wood. And marls would have held the broken lead together.

I priced those trees for $2150. We got them done in a day....I was able to run the camera a fair bit. But I should and could have charged $3000 or so. Sans a chipper winch, those two trees would have taken at least 1.5 days. It saved our skin. And, it got a lot of the wood under 8-10" delivered right to the chipper. Wood hauling was a $900 option, but it was nice to get that stuff out of the way. I dumped twice that day, within 2 miles each trip, thanks to the www.chipdrop.in service, which is operating in a few towns. A Portland groundie thought up the idea.

They were babies compared to some of the poplar behemoths we've done.... the two largest jobs are on my flickr site.

At one time those poplars were planted as wind breaks in this area .They do not live long nor get as large here .Maybe 20 years at best .It very unusual to see one much over 18" and 50 feet tall .They just don't do well in this climate .

They get used for that around here as well.
We just top them when they get too big and then retop them again, and again .......

Between orchards, mostly. No Structures.
So nobody gives much of a damn how they handle it, or if the new tops break off.
They are purely utalitarian.

Back