Your dream shop?

I was going to also suggest about dust extraction, which is best run under the floor so you don't have interference from hoses. A wood floor is really cool, warmer and easier on your legs. It doesn't have to be the entire shop, and it could be disadvantageous to have it that way, but where you most spend your time, like around your work bench, a wood floor is sweet. Easy enough to do, plywood also works well. Some consideration of where you will have a wood floor might best be incorporated in how you lay out and construct the shop. Windows and natural light are great, Skylights are very nice in a shop. Big doors on both ends that you can open up are also cool, makes it almost like working outside, especially with skylights.

Good thread Rajan, this is approaching in the next 1-2 years for me too. Wood burning furnace is a must, heated floors, wash bay, and above ground fuel tanks for off road and on road diesel. An overhead crane would be a must too. Every truck and machine would be parked inside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was going to also suggest about dust extraction, which is best run under the floor so you don't have interference from hoses. A wood floor is really cool, warmer and easier on your legs. It doesn't have to be the entire shop, and it could be disadvantageous to have it that way, but where you most spend your time, like around your work bench, a wood floor is sweet. Easy enough to do, plywood also works well. Some consideration of where you will have a wood floor might best be incorporated in how you lay out and construct the shop. Windows and natural light are great, Skylights are very nice in a shop. Big doors on both ends that you can open up are also cool, makes it almost like working outside, especially with skylights.

A wood floor?! Ok I might go for that in the other half of the building in a few years but skylights are a very good idea.

Good thread Rajan, this is is approaching in the next 1-2 years for me too. Wood burning furnace is a must, heated floors, wash bay, and above ground fuel tanks for off road and on road diesel. An overhead crane would be a must too. Every truck and machine would be parked inside.

An overhead crane would be nice or at least a gantry crane on wheels. Bulk fuel is a must.

If you are going with a 16' ceiling, then you have room for 14' doors. That will allow anything road legal (13'-6") to get in.

Great timing for this thread. I lost my 20x40 shop at the end of June. Decided to try selling my house again and get one with more land and a shop and/or barn on it. If I'm going to pay serious shop rent I may as well pay it to myself! Definitely concrete floors, want to put the office in there with a bathroom. It will need lots of power outlets and plumbed for air. Doors need to be 14', wood and/or waste oil heat etc. Please send money :)

I'll need a bigger fridge than the one I've got! Might build a cider room as well!

Great timing for this thread. I lost my 20x40 shop at the end of June. Decided to try selling my house again and get one with more land and a shop and/or barn on it. If I'm going to pay serious shop rent I may as well pay it to myself! Definitely concrete floors, want to put the office in there with a bathroom. It will need lots of power outlets and plumbed for air. Doors need to be 14', wood and/or waste oil heat etc. Please send money :)

I am planning on putting in plumbing in the concrete but not finishing it right away as funds allow.

Unless you are needing to heat the parts of the shop where the vehicles are parked, why do it? If you work on stuff like at a bench, maybe you'll be wanting an area that can be closed off for easier to keep warm. Back to a wood floor, putting one in over part of concrete that then entails a step up, the small change in elevation is really no problem to go back and forth.

Dream woodworking shop? For me, it would be something like this:

http://youtu.be/6mcIrlYBua8 The embed code is in the post, but it isn't showing. I don't know why I can sometimes embed, and can't other times. :X

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6mcIrlYBua8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My shop is 60 by 70 with 16 to the bottom of the trusses with 3 14 foot high 16 wide doors in the front and one 10 by 10 on the side .300 thousand BTU of hanging natural gas radiant heat .Double tram rail over head rails with two chain falls on each .In ground air over hydraulic drive on car hoist .Only one "man" door ,48 inches wide plated with 10 gauge steel with a 1" sliding dead bolt and a 6 tumbler carbide shackled lock .If they get past that I'll hunt the bastards down .

My dream garage has a knockout mechanic standing inside that volunteers his time to me as needed in exchange fir warm thank you's and handshakes. I don't GAS what the building looks like.

Hummm maybe I need another roll up door. So why would you for radiant instead of underfloor heat?

I just dont trust anything being encased in concrete. For me anyway, something always seems to go wrong. I dont mind air, electric and water, and heat being above ground, somewhere I can work on them.

I like the radiant heat because it is pretty fast and cheaper than a boiler, less maintenance as well. Floor heat is a nice even heat though.

I just dont trust anything being encased in concrete. For me anyway, something always seems to go wrong. I dont mind air, electric and water, and heat being above ground, somewhere I can work on them.

I like the radiant heat because it is pretty fast and cheaper than a boiler, less maintenance as well. Floor heat is a nice even heat though.
Noted.

Here is my personal portable "dream chainsaw shop" plus work clothes change room.

Only 8' x 12' but all the room I need. Fully insulated floor, ceiling, walls , argon tri pane window, insulated 36" steel door. 100 amp service with 240/220 -60 amp and 15 amp plugs for welder and knife grinder. Heated with double 4' baseboard heaters with separate thermostats [in F.]

Attic storage for all my extra saws and parts. Work saws, cutting torches and all other equipment is kept in nearby 2 car garage.
Front step is two 10" x 14"x 36" spruce blocks ,underneath shop is two 12' x 10" x 14" copper sulphate treated beams all milled with my Alaskan chainsaw mill.

I finished this shop last spring and still not stocked and organized the way I want it yet. Also built it small enough to move , which I am doing at the moment as we're moving to our new home 4 hours drive from here.

Attachments

• 20140813_102119.jpg
    20140813_102119.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20140813_102156.jpg
    20140813_102156.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 20140813_102312.jpg
    20140813_102312.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 20140813_102254.jpg
    20140813_102254.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 20140813_102357.jpg
    20140813_102357.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 85
Very nice! Is it built on a trailer?
Thanks.
Built on skids [12'x10"x14"] Just have to winch it up onto a flat deck trailer.

I was going to sell it with the house as one buyer really liked it. But changed my mind as I thought of all the work and money I put into it, even got a built in sound system:)

Hell no don't sell it, unless he is offering retarded for it and allow you to rebuild with up grades but it looks like you have just about all of them aside form a bathroom.

The best shop I've ever been in was in Cape Town.
There was a bar selling booze and women reclining on sofas who were also for sale.

I was penniless and way too drunk but my friends spent their money fast!
Besides which, that kind of shop has never appealed to me anyway but it was god fun watching the traffic from the bar.

That's a cool and tidy little shop, Willard, it looks like a place where you can concentrate, One thing though, your door needs a decal.

Attachments

• e017c67debc5b0dbd2789bc873a4d0d3.jpg
    e017c67debc5b0dbd2789bc873a4d0d3.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 50
That's a cool and tidy little shop, Willard, it looks like a place where you can concentrate, One thing though, your door needs a decal.
Thanks Jay:thumbup: yes the speed addict decal would fit, you haven't heard me speak yet.....I talk a mile a minute:D

When it's 40 below outside and with the heat and Sirius radio on it is pretty darn cozy in there.

Back