Your dream shop?

flushcut

TreeHouser
The wife and I are looking at buying a house with some acreage (3) and I am all about the acre and half that will be Manland. disclaimer : notice Manland is capitalized because it may be my new home as she will likely have the house.
Sooooo what's your ideal shop??
I am thinking a 48'X80'X16' insulated, heated floor, two roll up doors and three man doors. Half of the floor will concrete and half will be crushed limestone set up for future paving. I really only want half of the building set up as shop space for now. Wood boiler is a must.
Any and all suggestions, dreams, and fantasies will be entertained while drinking beer. Cheers:drink:

Good idea for a thread. I knew a fella who built his shop and two story house all together, in one shop. Park the trucks inside, walk to the back, open the door and step into the apartment. I loved it, but I can see where some wouldn't like that.

It was cool. Built into the entire metal structure, a big long rectangular thing. Not real pretty, but it worked. The lil apartment was nice - two bedrooms/bathroom upstairs and the living room/kitchen downstairs. A small bathroom/shower in the shop. Very nice, but I can see where a wife would hate it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shower/bathroom the wife would love that no more saw chips in the house.

60'x104'x16' worked for me.:lol: Those are 40' -3 7/8" long plates on the forklift. You can only see half of the shop in this pic. I no longer get to work in that building, however.

DSC_0565.jpg

Drinking beer? I have had that handled since two.

My dad always said I was full of shit, but I always wanted a shop with a scissors truss in the middle. That way you can lift or hoist something up.

No floor heat for me. I like radiant heat much better. Build a shop length wise, a long skinny shop is a pain, a shop that is wide, with lots of doors is more useful.

I would concrete the whole thing at once if it were up to me and I was spending someone else's money. Lol.

Drinking beer? I have had that handled since two.

My dad always said I was full of shit, but I always wanted a shop with a scissors truss in the middle. That way you can lift or hoist something up.

No floor heat for me. I like radiant heat much better. Build a shop length wise, a long skinny shop is a pain, a shop that is wide, with lots of doors is more useful.
Hummm maybe I need another roll up door. So why would you for radiant instead of underfloor heat?

The building is 48x80 so cut it in half so you have two 48x40 spaces one heated and one not heated.

I get yah. Sounds sweet. I love my shop, but can't even recall the dimensions offhand. I think about the size of one side of what you're planning and that's certainly enough to heat. My shop is only 12' on the roof. Sucks, plan ahead for the tallest thing you might ever own.

The guy that I sub for and he subs for me just pulled the trigger on a bucket truck so tall doors are a must but I was going that way anyway. Currently I only have normal garage doors that I can't pull my chipper or either truck into and I hate it.

Yah. Lots of them. I've got some good lighting in my shop, two big 'bulbs' by the doors and then three banks of huge fluorescents down each bay.

Good dust extraction is a must, if you do.
Way easier to plan for ahead, than put in afterwards.

Back