Metal Chain tie in point

Raj

TreeHouser
I have a group of closely spaced spruce trees that need a lot of dead branches and other pruning to be done and I'm thinking of placing a short chain (and chaffe guard) with rated quick links in the highest (just over 80ft) and most central to work at my leisure....well actually it's my father's idea, but at any rate.....

If memory serves me correctly, is it correct that a metal chain to be used for a life support anchor has to be grade 100 or better, minimum 5/16 inch? Anyone with any experiences with such a set up?

Thanks,
Peter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, sorry, the chain would stay in the tree over a few months, may be longer.

Why not just leave a throw line in the tree.
That way you can easily reset your FS next time you need it.

+2

If you only have 1 throwline use some cheap twine or masons line. When you're going back up pull your throwline through with the twine before rope.

Thanks, that's what I've been doing with some paracord, It's more of a curiosity about chain strength and using it, I've had service calls with my electric motor business in the past on bridge cranes and they had some chains set up in such configurations for fall arrest, but it has been a while ago.

+2

If you only have 1 throwline use some cheap twine or masons line. When you're going back up pull your throwline through with the twine before rope.

IME, mason line is too stretchy, cut into bark, too. A thicker line, at least, maybe 1.5mm would be better. Home Depot has cheap cord, about $4 each, maybe 100', colored ~3-4mm cord.

Thanks, that's what I've been doing with some paracord, It's more of a curiosity about chain strength and using it, I've had service calls with my electric motor business in the past on bridge cranes and they had some chains set up in such configurations for fall arrest, but it has been a while ago.

I am pretty sure the chain is only used for its cut/heat resistance properties as opposed to nylon/polyester in construction applications.

Peter...I'M thinking about going to the hardware store TODAY to get something to do the same exact thing!!

Just curious.....did you ever decide on anything??

I was thinking about some corrosion resistant cable, with 2 thimble (?) on the ends....and maybe run through a piece of garden hose...

I, too, want a permanent tie in point....and run some cheap, paracord style, line through it, to act as a haul-line for climb-line when ready....

Also... was thinking about some type of pulley, too.

You ever come up with anything??

Thanks

Stevo

Last edited:
I picked up some 80 or 100 proof chain, reputable source from a reputable manufacturer (don't know exactly who as this moment) and used rated quick links from treestuff and a chaff sleeve, some paracord and it's set. My dad had me set some bird houses higher up in a few very near by trees and want's me to check on them... no idea why, but hey, I'll do it.....

Hmmmm......I'm thinking I might have a coated- bike lock cable with loops on each end that might be the ticket!!
:thumbup:

Thank you, Sir.

Have a good holiday.
Stevo.

Whoa there ... Some bike cables are pretty cheap / Chinese even. People that love life only hang from reliable LOAD RATED gear. Just saying'...

I've wanted to do this in palm trees with steel cable eye-eye slings. Those things can be a bi+¢h to set lines in. If I know we're coming back in 12 months, why not leave a friction saver up there!

love
nick

I've opted for chain, what worried me about cable is the ease of some corrosion to penetrate the strands, and this might be a bit off reaching is if the eye ends are subjected to twisting back and forth by the throw/pull line by wind, if it would weaken the strands. Nice beefy chain links appealed to me.

I've wanted to do this in palm trees with steel cable eye-eye slings. Those things can be a bi+¢h to set lines in. If I know we're coming back in 12 months, why not leave a friction saver up there!

love
nick

Are those going to have spliced eyes or swaged eyes? :) Stainless I presume.

Cool! What would you use as the throw line to thread the climb line? or just use throw line to state the obvious. It's an interesting idea and I am sure sellable to your repeat custies.

Back