Auto feed/Tachometer issues.

canadianclimber

TreeHouser
I will start by saying I am not mechanically inclined but learning lots and this site has been invaluable to me.

I have a morbark 6 " chipper with auto feed, cat diesel engine 34hp 150 hrs.

Recently the Tachometer has been acting up. When It starts the rpm reads as normal and everything seems to be fine. 5 minutes in the tach stops working and the feed wheels stop moving. Engine still running at high rpm's. The display shows "n5i6". If I push one of the buttons on the tach "off" comes up on the display and the feed wheels start up. No auto feed though.

I've check fuses and all wires seem to be attached. I've been looking for a manual for this tach but no luck. As well another number that comes up is 119.3. Not ure if this is an error code or something. Anything else I should look at?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
To be honest I don't really care about having the auto feed that much. I just don't want to be causing another issue by not having it running. It is nice to have the tachometer for to see how the engine is running while chipping

Could be the tach pickup on the engine side. I know mine, and a bandit I've run in the past, loosened up and contacted the flywheel damaging the tach sensor pickup. Follow the wire to the engine, should be around the flywheel area. If the sensor is loose could be the issue.

If I push one of the buttons on the tach "off" comes up on the display and the feed wheels start up. No auto feed though.

That is the normal way to disable the auto feed, and once it is turned off by pushing and holding one of the buttons, it says 'auto feed off' and the feed wheels will then work at any rpm, on my 18" morbark.

Re the rest of the symptoms, idk, probably a good mechanic with a laptop will have to cipher that.

Don't run a morbark, but my bandit runs a L.O.R. Tachometer.

According to my manual, yours may be a

L.O.R. MFG
PART NUMBER 900-2906-82L
For service call 1-866-644-8622

I don't have any input on the error codes. But like Brendon said, check your wires and harnesses. Look for wear, loose fittings, or excess dielectrical grease. (Had issues with that on truck/trailer plugs.) Don't hesitate to call Morbark either. I haven't dealt with them personally, but hopefully they could help you if L.O.R. can't. Lastly is it under warranty? 150hrs is pretty new, I'd get it fixed, chippers are investments for us big or small.

Best of luck! Hope this helped.

Thanks for all the info. I'll start tracing wires and cleaning connections tomorrow and see how things go.

Bigtwig- good info I will be surfing l.o.r. Site and maybe calling them later this week. I actually bought my chipper used so no warranty.

Kurt is this your unit? Sometimes reverse works. Sometimes it doesn't. Also sometimes auto feed is off when starting. Then turns itself on shortly after. Any thing particular to check?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 85
I haven't been able to find the code that it corresponds to, but I assume it is an error code. I have all the same issues "brendonv" has. Mine basically just has condensation in it and works intermittently. I usually just turn it off. Almost prefer it with out the autofeed. I plan to replace it at some point. And I will get the real autofeed not a copy cat.

Auto Feed Stuck in Reverse

I have a Terex Woodsman 750 that has the autofeed stuck in reverse regardless of which position the control bar is in.

To try to isolate the problem I disconnected both yellow cables that connect to the two switches that control feed and yoke. I then connected the yoke cable to the feed switch. Upon start up the yoke raised up. When I tried other detent settings by moving the feed bar it had no effect as the cylinders remained fully extended regardless of switch position. This is the same behavior as continually running the feed wheel in reverse regardless of switch position.

Next, I connected the feed cable to the yoke switch. After startup the feed roller did not move either on the default position or after moving the raise yoke lever. The yoke raising function works as normal when the yoke cable is attached to the yoke switch.

Also, when the feed roller is turning backwards it continues to turn even after I switch the winch/feed selector to winch. I am new to this machine but I thought the feed was supposed to stop turning when the winch is in operation.

Any ideas?

Does the terex have the auto reverse on it? Where the feed wheel or wheels will reverse if the piece jams up. If so there could be a pressure sensor in the system. Had that problem on our Vermeer BC1800.

n5i6 is the error code for 'No Signal'. Look first at the tach probe and wires, these are easily damaged.
Here is a link to the manual for the tach pictured.
www.lormfg.com/sites/default/files/MANUAL_rev7_(Pr7).pdf
You can call LOR Mfg for troubleshooting help.

The part numbers 900-2906-82L and 39251-419 corresponds to a PDC-12 from LOR Mfg. no longer in production.
As of this date, it has been replaced by p/n 39252-950 or PDCX-M (or PDCX) available from your chipper manufacturer. An appropriate connecting harness would be needed.

https://landmarkmachinery.com/product/tach-autofeed-lor/

Back