Old Mixed Gas

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
Ya'll think it's OK to dump month old saw gas in my truck? I don't think it will hurt, especially if it's a full tank.

Thoughts?

No problemo, imo. Mix it into a nearly full tank.

I do it all the time, mostly with generators, and I avoid putting it in the vehicles before emission tests.

Good idea, the generator thing, keeping them fresh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My saw guy said if you want to be anal, 30 days tops. I'll give it 5 weeks, then dump. I'm only kinda anal...

It's only one gallon.

I always thought that hot weather is when gas goes bad more quickly. Thirty days seems well within ok, just a gut feeling though. Every thirty days is about the frequency that I compliment the cute lady working at the gas station, something about her looking good. She is cool, a hard working mom that likes to joke around..

With the pump gas we have here I would say 2-3 weeks tops if it is stored cold and dark.

A Biggs has struggle firing on 3-4 month old gas here.

I hope yours is better in US.

I never have any trouble with my Stihls running fuel mix older than that...but I know I'm in the minority, from previous threads. I don't know why.

I've had to have my 200 worked on from running old mix - I'm overly paranoid nowadays. It's only less than a gallon, anyway.

If you have had issues, I don't blame you one iota. I've dumped old mix in my rigs before, too. Like you, with a near full tank of fuel.

I just think it's really odd I don't have problems with older mix, I just don't get it. We have the same ethanol mixed gasoline here as anywhere else.

I used to dump old premix in my 1979 GMC with a carbureted engine. Newer rigs with finicky fuel injection systems... I tend to not tdump old premix in them. Modern injectors spray a super fine mist, and are a lot more prone to clogging and stoppage than an old carburetor. So I dump old premix in my lawn mower now since all my rigs aer fuel injected.

**Except the hot rod... but I ain't dumping old premix in that bugger. ;)

Gary

If you have had issues, I don't blame you one iota. I've dumped old mix in my rigs before, too. Like you, with a near full tank of fuel.

I just think it's really odd I don't have problems with older mix, I just don't get it. We have the same ethanol mixed gasoline here as anywhere else.

I have old mix I burn in my Stihls as well Burnham, with no issues whatsoever. I do use Stihl Ultra premix, and I know it has additives in it that help prevent fuel/oil seperation, and to help prevent moisture from Ethanol laden crap fuel.

Gary

Dang - mine is fuel injected! Maybe, half of it in one tankful and the other half in another? Dilute it even more?

I don't wanna frig up my injectors!

I might be being overcautious Butch. But I do know the tolerances for the Vortec fuel Injection systems on newer GM trucks are pretty tight. Not saying that a smidge of 2 stroke oil will be bad for it, but maybe run some injector cleaner through your rig every now and again to keep them free flowing.

Gary

Better overkill than underkill, if you're worried.

Our Hazo-house program takes it for free, if you drive to the dump.

I use the HP ultra from Stihl. I started an old parts saw after it sat a year+. Seemed fine.

I've used 32:1 to start an old dump truck of ours on several occasions. My old work truck didn't have a working gas gauge, and in the winter the idle time would make it a bit of a guessing game. I ran it a couple miles once on whatever was left in the tank after it died and a full gallon of saw gas. . . that was one of the fuel injected F250s, it never gave me any problems. . .

Back