What's the best type of payment you've ever received for climbing?

Silverbackarb

TreeHouser
If like to hear some of the ways you guys have been compensated for your work other than money.

Mine was today. I met a Vietnam vet at the post office, he found out I do tree work. So I went over and gave him a bid on a very light pruning of an elder tree and dead wooding a silver maple. It was $600. Well when I gave the bid we began talking about hunting and guns. He talked about needing brass for his 300WSM, I talked about needing to get a good pack pistol and a bolt action savage 22LR to compliment my 17HMR.

image.jpg

Both brand new in box: Savage Mark 2 in 22LR with 525 rounds and a Glock 9mm Gen 4 compact with 300 rounds.

I was delighted! Please share some of your stories!

Fortunate timing when I was about to get my mini loader, a customer was wanting to offload a 6 lug, 5x8' trailer. I can fit the mini, grapple on the tongue triangle, ramps on the sides, and I just figured out about the bucket on the back end snuck under the operator's platform, sides around the machine (hopefully the trial run is like the armchair run).

Laurel hedge, even trade. The variable width tracks squeezed me right through the gate, rather than having an uphill drag, and straight up the steep drive where I wanted to park for advertising sake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sean I think we both came out on too of our deals. I've built quite a few of my own heavy duty trailers, but anymore you can't hardly get the materials for the price of a good quality built trailer.

No trades here but I have been offered exercise equip, jewelry, light fixtures..

I did a roof years ago and the guy had his wife show us her tatas as a thank you lol

I may not have traded for exercise equip but I'll do a lot of work for gold , guns and ammo, and of course women ;) (I am referring to my fiancé not tatas lol)

My best client gave me a high end gas barbecue and another gave us five oil paintings of trees and another of a football autographed by commissioner. Wine, beer and food comes often.
Our core biz is pruning and those folks appreciate the effort as much or more than those needing dead or high hazard trees or emergency work

The only odd thing I ever received like that was a tip, in the form of two dozen fresh chicken eggs. They were tasty!

My best client gave me a high end gas barbecue and another gave us five oil paintings of trees and another of a football autographed by commissioner. Wine, beer and food comes often.
Our core biz is pruning and those folks appreciate the effort as much or more than those needing dead or high hazard trees or emergency work

For some reason I'm always getting asked if I'd like a beer in the middle of the day on the job. Idk if it's because I'm young(22)? And then i have an alcoholic 44 year old that has a lot of experience in the tree world that works for me when I need him. He works hard no matter what, hungover or not. And ive flat had to tell him a couple times if he even hints he'd like a beer he'll be taken to the house immediately and won't be back to work for me.

Nice.

A question to the OP, what are the legalities of giving guns as a form of payment? Obviously they are of value, does he just sign them over to you and job done or do you have to apply for permissions for the rim fire and the Glock?

Cheers.

I was given a GoPro Hero 3 by one of the guys I do a lot of climbing for. I was going to buy it from him but we had a big run of storm work early in the year so he said just keep it and thanks.

He had already paid up for the hours I had worked with him so it was a nice gesture and showed he appreciated the hard work.

Nice.

A question to the OP, what are the legalities of giving guns as a form of payment? Obviously they are of value, does he just sign them over to you and job done or do you have to apply for permissions for the rim fire and the Glock?

Cheers.
Here in Oregon there is really no paperwork required between private parties.

Tickets redeemable in beer at a liquor store or market, sometimes a six pack or a couple bottles to take home. Some of the more in country places want to give lunch, and many of the women are dynamite cooks. if I compliment, I might end up getting some more to take home. My usual method is saying that my wife really loves this kind of thing, and then give a look like she is suffering at home. We have received some great snacks. Most appreciative.

Nice.

Cheers.
We just acted as if he gave me the money and I bought the guns from them for that price.

Did two jobs this summer for the owners of a local brewery. Needless to say I got a nice tab there. The place is called free will brewery if any of you live in eastern pa. Awesome beer

I have this one repeat customer who is a retired machinist of German heritage who gives me a 6 pack of his homemade beer and a half dozen smoked goldeye [fish] .
Better then cash;)

Back