Why 7/16 for SRT and 1/2" for DRT?

Robert P

TreeHouser
From what I've been reading 7/16" is recommended for SRT and 1/2" for DRT - why so?

Lots of people are getting the fatter double braids for SRT now it seems, not quite 1/2" but real close 12mm

When I first tried SRT on my Yale XTC I found the rope flattened out quite noticeably and it gave me the heebies, why I'm not sure but I didn't like the feel, it never did that on DdRT.

Right now I'm climbing SRT on Tachyon 11'7mm and it doens't flatten nearly as much, and though I thought I wouldn't like the slightly skinnier rope for grip, it really hasn't proved to be an issue, atlas grippy gloves really help.

And yes, the 11.7mm Tachyon does run better through the HH. Much easier to self tend, haven't needed my extra bent gate biner that I ran with the XTC underneath the HH for a better 'bend'... at all.

I'm with Rajan...but Fi makes good points. It's easy to generalize, and not so helpful, really. Lots of improvements in the ropes we can chose from these days, and lots that are in between the OP's mentioned diameters.

Robert: This stuff is cultural. Rope diameter doesn't matter a straw whether Ddrt, Drt, or Srt. Skinny rope is lighter. Fat rope is easier to grab. There can be no other appreciable difference, and I'll fight anyone who dares to suggest otherwise.

Ha! Yeah, I was laughing because if anyone on here fought me, I'd be the loser. Yeah Stephen you're right, but that's just another argument in favor of half inch, because, of course, that could always be made stiffer than skinny rope.

Jed, Stephen is totally correct, and if you insist, I'll fight ya about it :evil:. Warning...I'm old and wicked and I fight dirty:/:. Ask Thorman, he likely remembers my sockful of pennies :D.

Ha! Yeah, I was laughing because if anyone on here fought me, I'd be the loser. Yeah Stephen you're right, but that's just another argument in favor of half inch, because, of course, that could always be made stiffer than skinny rope.

Might be so theoretically, but not so in the marketplace.

Am I gonna have to pop you up side tha noggin, brother?

:D

I can't say for certain, I think I've read an excerpt covering rope sizes, but up in Canada, I think CSA standards for tree work specify you must use minimum 1/2 inch climbing rope, unless properly trained on using 7/16 inch climbing ropes and associated techniques and hardware, however it was more a guide for employee's.... If my memory serves me correctly....

CSA follows ANSI standards closely. I've been looking for prints of them, but they appear to be quite costly.

Peter

I find the narrower diameter lines are good for SRT and traditional doubled rope climbing. Better tending characteristics and lighter for more length. Make it easy moving the rope around the tree

As for the grip issue, you do get used to it and a set of decent gripper gloves really helps. I have been using Tachyon for about 6 years now and on my 4th hank of it. I also climb cougar blue which is the same diameter as NE Tach... 11.7mm.

The cougar blue has a lot less stretch than the tach so IMO makes it more suitable to SRT.

I've flown 11.7 poison hyvee SRT and DdRT. Just needs to be brighter.

Recently was using the Hitch Hiker on 1/2" xtc with a pantin without issue. Slightly thicker was nicer. Big hands and skinny lines don't so as well. Leg powered propulsion goes so far.

With age I have come to dislike the thinner stuff. If I'm not having to air hump my way up several trees on one job, I love poison ivy. Other than that I've got a 120' hank of I think Samson that is the fattest 1/2" I've come across. It's very easy on my hands but does not throw as far or nice as PI.

I prefer to mix it up.
I don't get only using one kind of line when climbing.
I use the 11.7 mm for longer ascents and when more line is required for weight savings.
I will SRT 11.7 preferably, gear runs great on it too, but will also a 13mm in a heartbeat. Even on Arbormaster and use the bounce to my advantage.
I prefer a 13mm line for Ddrt, but weight is an issue when you start playing on 200 feet of line.
Mix it up I say. There are advantages to using one line over another in different arenas. Becoming one line dependant is not on this climbers agenda.

I didn't even notice the smaller diameter of my Fly rope until I read the specs in a catalog. Now, a 1/2" feels fat to me.

Might be so theoretically, but not so in the marketplace.

Am I gonna have to pop you up side tha noggin, brother?

:D

Man, I sure hope not. Yeah, I was only talking theoretically, and, come to think of it, :? I don't know if there's a particularly stiff half-inch out there. Has anyone tried that Samson 24 strand Vortex stuff yet. Seems like it would be pretty stiff, but I haven't checked it out. For stiffness on SRT, I've only got poison ivy. What's significantly stiffer than that, that won't cost you an arm and a leg?

Man, I've seriously got to get a hitch-hiker too. All I have is RIT cord in a VT on Poison Ivy! It works pretty awesome, even though I get a little scared sometimes, but it SUCKS to descend that way. I have to wrap the rope around my boots, (as if you were DRT foot locking) and then peel down on my boots! My Poison Ivy has long streaks of melted, black rubber on it. :lol:

Vortex is actually very soft and supple, I feel like I could flake it into a beer mug. It's easy to grip tho.
I thought bluemoon had just the right amount of stiffness to it but I killed it so I have some cougar blue on the way.

Stiffness or limpness and static or dynamic are not the same things, brothers. You have to look at real specs to know what you're gonna get with a particular rope.

I meant it as in the actual feel of the rope. As for static properties of a rope- I'm not that picky and both work well imo.

You perhaps need to get a bit more picky :)...maybe your trees are not tall enough for the difference between 5% stretch and 1% to strike you much, I dunno. But if you have something near to or more than 100 feet (and here it can be twice that), the difference is well worth knowing when you are buying.

Ha ok I meant between vortex and bluemoon. Vortex has a high % elongation but with a higher mbs I think it's still pretty close to bluemoon. But ur right it is a consideration and ur trees are bigger!

Back