Ultimate piece of gear

Silverbackarb

TreeHouser
Ordered the GRCS!!! The money came a little sooner than expected due to the flood of work but I can't wait to get it. Treestuff has been super fast and good to work with, hopefully it gets here before the end of next weekend! But a lot of medium to small jobs have come up that I can do on my own with it but other wise would have to pay a hired hand drive time and pay for a bed in another town that had no tree service. So after all the reviews and this coming up I think it will be a purchase that pays for itself in he first couple months.

When a GRCS is needed it will pay for itself very quickly, but it will sit from time to time. Congrats you will love it and maybe finding yourself turning the winch while it is sitting on your lap in your living room. It's ok I think we all have done it at some point.

I almost bought a Harkin boat winch once and had the measurements to make the mounting bracket.

But since have found my diesel pickup makes the best GRCS.....blocks, pulleys, slings, 200ft of 3/4" stable braid, big shot and a couple Beeline prussics with biners.

When a GRCS is need it will pay for itself very quickly, but it will sit from time to time. Congrats you will love it and maybe finding yourself turning the winch while it is sitting on your lap in your living room. It's ok I think we all have done it at some point.

Oh Lordy that's funny!

Been there, done that, went first to the Hobb's then to the GRCS.
It is sooo much easier.
I just sold the Hobb's to Pete McTree, since the GRCS had pretty much put it out of business except for big take downs.

You are going to love yours!

I believe a fellow with the last name Good (can't remember his 1st name maybe Jerry) invented the GRCS and he's from Wisconsin .

I noticed his name as a distrbutor on the new Falteimer throwline cube I bought.
www.falteimer.com

Obviously Im biased however I would buy a Wraptor way before I got a GRCS. My GRCS sits for months on end in the shop, my Wraptor gets used EVERY work day. As has been said sometimes it is indispensable but very seldom.

My biggest problem with buying a GRCS (aside from the serious commitment of cash,) is that I have to trust my groundies to use it properly. As a contract climber, I work with several different crews, and pick up random work off of craigslist and such. I always set the port-a-wrap or bollard myself before entry, and with one of the companies that calls on occasion, I have to go over proper operation at the start of every job. The two companies that regularly work with, both understand how to set a mechanical advantage above the lowering device (to apply tension like a GRCS,) but half of the time I have to walk them through tying a prussic hitch or VT... a week ago I had to repell out of the tree to show them how it's done.
This lack of consistency is also my biggest complaint about freelancing. I don't blame the guys I'm working with... I do my best to share my knowledge and do a bit of training every time I work with each crew. But I seem to be the only contract climber these guys work with, that takes the time, and only seeing them once or twice a week, isn't enough to reinforce the lessons... or maybe they're just morons.
...woah, tangent.
I dream about buying a GRCS, and having a crew to help me take advantage of what it can do. I mainly work in the dense suburbs, in northern Virginia, outside of Washington DC, and I see good uses for the tool on at least 50%+ of the jobs I do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a 1 ton with an 8k PTO winch that will lift itself off the ground if need be, tried that but setting your blocks and making sure you have enough rope tail out coming to your cable can be a pain at times. What made me decide to bite the bullet was a combination of two jobs, one off a hillside that I couldn't get a truck or any other means of lifting device off of to remove a silver maple butted to the deck of a homeowners private gym/spa. Tree was impeding the view of the sunset so it was to be removed. The job would have gone sooo much faster to lift spars overhanging the deck/hot and over the railing. The other job is coming up. Job is an easy take down of a small cottonwood, other than two leaders about 16" a piece that are within a foot or so of the eve. Can be done easy enough without the GRCS but will be much more time consuming and I'll be able to do the job by myself saving me money.

Obviously Im biased however I would buy a Wraptor way before I got a GRCS. My GRCS sits for months on end in the shop, my Wraptor gets used EVERY work day. As has been said sometimes it is indispensable but very seldom.

I don't have major ascents without being pines take downs that I can't just spur up easily.... It is definitely on my wish list though. Need to get some more work on large canopy trees then maybe just maybe ;)

GRCS is awesome when needed. Do get the drill bit, it can make jobs much easier. Ex: We had a job where the guys were cutting smallish trees into a pond and winching them out with the mini. If we didn't have access with the mini skid it would have been GRCS with the drill all day. That being said I did buy the loader before a GRCS, just saying...

My biggest problem with buying a GRCS (aside from the serious commitment of cash,) is that I have to trust my groundies to use it properly. As a contract climber, I work with several different crews, and pick up random work off of craigslist and such. I always set the port-a-wrap or bollard myself before entry, and with one of the companies that calls on occasion, I have to go over proper operation at the start of every job. The two companies that regularly work with, both understand how to set a mechanical advantage above the lowering device (to apply tension like a GRCS,) but half of the time I have to walk them through tying a prussic hitch or VT... a week ago I had to repell out of the tree to show them how it's done.
This lack of consistency is also my biggest complaint about freelancing. I don't blame the guys I'm working with... I do my best to share my knowledge and do a bit of training every time I work with each crew. But I seem to be the only contract climber these guys work with, that takes the time, and only seeing them once or twice a week, isn't enough to reinforce the lessons... or maybe they're just morons.
...woah, tangent.
I dream about buying a GRCS, and having a crew to help me take advantage of what it can do. I mainly work in the dense suburbs, in northern Virginia, outside of Washington DC, and I see good uses for the tool on at least 50%+ of the jobs I do.
.....really ten minutes to train someone who is not drunk or retarded to operate GRCS (nothing against drunks or retards)

...I believe you are right as I still need a Wraptor

GRCS is awesome when needed. Do get the drill bit, it can make jobs much easier. Ex: We had a job where the guys were cutting smallish trees into a pond and winching them out with the mini. If we didn't have access with the mini skid it would have been GRCS with the drill all day. That being said I did buy the loader before a GRCS, just saying...

Yes sir, the drill driver and the visor plate. I don't have a Milwaukee hole hawg like most use but I have a bigger 1/2 makita that has a lot of torque so we'll see if that runs it. If not I'll be making a trip to Home Depot. I have a small (3032E) john Deere that's easily transported and does a good job with smaller stuff. I think it'd be comparable to a mini in helping a long the job, it's just bigger size wise so I can't fit it as many places.

Make all newbies watch the videos it comes with or take 5 minutes to run through the do's and don'ts it will save u a ferling or a pigtail trust me

Back