Weed Barrier growing into trunk and girdling trees - video

Underwor

Treehouser
Here is a short video I made today about this problem. It was first brought to my attention by John Ball of South Dakota State University last winter. I have found several cases of it in various places and with several types of fabric. This video was made at Ft. Stevenson State Park, Garrison, ND.
Hope you find it helpful.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nwkJOtzuEIc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice job, Bob! Way too common. the flare SHALL be visible, or who knows what evil lurks down there!

Did John B talk about tracing/scraping away the compressed bark to prevent Dunlap's Disease, where the dammed-up phloem and bark above done lapped over the tissue below the girdling, forming an inclusion?
A Southern idiom, usually referring to bellies and belts....

O and that spruce was not in 25 years was it? More like 8 or 10 maybe?

Here's another look at the problem. These guys aren't even checking for girdling, though i do like the use of long-handled tools to start with. (I was worried about you slicing yourself there Bob) But the mechanized removal of half the fabric problem also removed half the benefit; seemed kinda crazy! But the state employees did not have to get their Dockers dirty, achieving that essential objective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HgFl9uJAGAQ

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Guy, Not sure about the age. Have found on all size trees. The long handled hooks would not work on these with the barrier in so tight.

Guy, Not sure about the age. Have found on all size trees. The long handled hooks would not work on these with the barrier in so tight.

i do like the use of long-handled tools to start with, then finish the cuts at the trunk by hand. That would be faster and safer and easier; don't knock it til you try it!

So JB did not mention bark tracing? O well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Guy, is there a thread where you gave the basics for tracing? Wulky was trying to educate me before his demise. I will try on a couple of these.

Check th epic of the elm here; i'll dig up the 'after' shots tomorrow, hopefully some 'during' shots too.

Attachments

• Root Pruning TCI.pdf
    581.8 KB · Views: 10
Back