The Biking Thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good stuff.

I ride to the farmers market on Sunday, and some errands around town.
But I really have not done any distance since the cross country trip in 2007... embarrassing!
We ought to organize a GTG/Bike Trip...

Good idea.

Yeah, errands and appointments around town are great cuz you kill 2 birds with one stone- stretch the legs/ get some wind in your face, and cross things off the to-do list.

How far do you two go? What's her name?

Cool bike too, I really want disks on my hack bike..

Mind you I haven't ridden on the road yet this year, stay in the woods

disks have great grab and are always consistent wet, snowy or muddy, whatever. On one of my favorite MTB downhills I used to have to stop and rest my hands that would cramp up from all the braking, now I have disks I can 1 finger brake all the way down.....

That looks great, Nick! Get one of your welder friends to make a light weight upper frame and enclose the whole thing with hardware mesh. Hinge it so it opens and closes like a clam shell. That way Sophie would be able to sit up and enjoy the ride more and you would not have to worry about her getting hurt. Oh, you will also need to put a fender on your bike or Sophie is going to bite your skiny ass off the first time you ride over a puddle.

disks have great grab and are always consistent wet, snowy or muddy, whatever. On one of my favorite MTB downhills I used to have to stop and rest my hands that would cramp up from all the braking, now I have disks I can 1 finger brake all the way down.....

That is interesting. So, even though they have less leverage/more torque working against them as compared to cantilever brakes grabbing the tire rim, they stop better cuz they have more power? How do they generate the power, mechanical advantage?

Disks squeal from time to time, but can be adjusted to avoid it.

Paul, your brakes are hydraulic? Thats some top end shit! Mine are just cable pull disc. They have little mini break pads just like a car! I want hydraulic ones, if for no other reason that they are like ibrake5 when you only have ibrake4s lol.

Hydraulics my friend hydraulics....

Cool, thanks.

What kinda bike do ya have?

I have a Cannondale "F 400", its an aluminum mountain bike that I ride 99% on paved roads. I like to just get on a helmet and go, no special shoes, shorts or anything else, just go.

Cory, what kind of tires are you using on your bike? For paved roads, street tires make much more sense than off road ones. Lots of tire brands on the market. I like Continental for street, a German brand. Very durable, I find. Track riding is cool too, if there happens to be one in your area that you can use. Likely a track bike is required. Sew up tires for track.

Cory, what kind of tires are you using on your bike? For paved roads, street tires make much more sense than off road ones. Lots of tire brands on the market. I like Continental for street, a German brand. Very durable I find.

Not sure if they still make them but.... Then" big apple" are awesome slicks for road. Wide for uber Cush

This is Cush! Just got this for my Birthday, and all I can say is wow. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408315618.983415.jpg

This would have been nice too! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408315648.128733.jpg

Interesting set up, Bud, kick A. Those tires must be adding some weight/rolling resistance, but looks like a fun ride. Awesome birthday reward! Some day if you want to experiment with it, try converting to single speed, it looks like a good candidate for it. Like the second pic too...

Wild looking bike, good in snow and sand I bet.

My tires are knobby given that its a mtn bike but gonna put something smoother on it soon.

Back