The Biking Thread

fixes are good for city riding starting stopping quick turns and such. bike messengers love them. easy to balance at a stop light and accelerate through traffic. I like gears too but dont live or ride in a dense high traffic city. we have a pretty strong wind from the west a lot and I like my gears coming into that.

just demoed a specialized endure......absolutely awesome on the down hill!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And insanely lightweight, I presume?!?

Fine looking machine :drink:

Yeah, its pretty light. Certainly lighter than the lycra clad dude on it! haha
The guy I bought it from lived and breathed bikes and had it from new so its in great shape. He's upgraded the tyres, wheels, all the shifters and cassettes. I got lucky!

I paid $735 for is second hand and just spent another $300 on shoes and different pedals. As long as the frame is sound, you can upgrade the components as and when you can.
The chap I got it from loved it though and spent $500 on the gears and $600 on the wheels. The standard set up for this bike when it was new was about $1600 with average components.

My mate has a really good bike but reckons hes spent $5500 on it! I'm not quite there yet!

The guy I bought it from lived and breathed bikes and had it from new so its in great shape. He's upgraded the tyres, wheels, all the shifters and cassettes. I got lucky!

Fuggin awesome deal!

That's a nice Bianchi!
Our youngest daughter has a Celeste-colored, classic Bianchi.

I rode an old steel Trek 520 across the country.
After doing pro-bono hospice support for the mother of the friend I started cycling with when Iwas 11 years old, he sent me a Blue Competition Cycle's NX-7 as a "thank you". Carbon Fiber is a game changer!
It's a full pound lighter than my climbing saw!

Attachments

• NX-7.jpeg
    NX-7.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 4
I just discovered this thread! While I'm definitely a neophyte at tree work, chainsaws, and nearly everything else at Treehouse, I've been riding bikes on and off (in several contexts) for at least 60 years. I last raced road bikes from 2004 through 2008 but had to give it up when a West Nile infection left me with prolonged bouts of double vision - I definitely couldn't ride in the peloton seeing twice as many bikes as were really there! I kept riding road for exercise until 2017 when I shifted to dirt because I wanted more solitude and less traffic. Currently alternating between two Salsas - a Mukluk (fatbike but I run 3 x 27.5") and a Cutthroat (gravel bikepacking bike). Most rides are two-track, gravel or occasional single-track here in north-central New Mexico. I don't do as much bikepacking as I'd like, but really enjoy those trips the most.

Mukluk on 120 mile overnight - descended this trackless wash for 20 miles in the middle of the trip:
i-LpZ4Md4-X2.jpg

Cutthroat on a mixed media overnight into the Manzano Mountains:
i-nQHjBzW.jpg

Looking forward to sharing cycling adventures with you all.

Howard

Welcome to the House!

That first pic is awesome ! 20 miles along a trackless wash?? My head would explode :lol: 8)

New Mexico must be quite a place, seems to be chock full of natural beauty and maybe a few crazy folks too?!?!

Are you familiar with the bike race noted on page one? It's in your 'hood!

New Mexico must be quite a place, seems to be chock full of natural beauty and maybe a few crazy folks too?!?!

Are you familiar with the bike race noted on page one? It's in your 'hood!

We like New Mexico a lot - lots of open space, much of it public land open to all of us.

The Tour Divide goes through some fantastic country - I've taken day rides on a couple of stretches here in NM. Those self-supported multi-day "races" seem like a great inclusive model and are gaining a lot of popularity. I can conceive of the riding, but the fast camping stumps me. Most of those folks sleep only a few hours, eat cold food (no hot coffee!!!!), stop after dark and roll out long before first light in the morning for a week or more. Camping is much of the fun for me but I like to savor it slowly!

Howard

here is my road bike early 80s cannondale. made in USA. I've hade it for 20 years now. i got it from my cousin gave who raced bikes in the early 80s.

Attachments

• 20200718_092358.jpg
    20200718_092358.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 11
Nice looking steed, I like the stickers on it. Early 80's Cdale= handmade. Is it your main ride these days? Is it the one that pulled your small chipper?

The ZK, is that a sticker or is that a full side plate? How is it affixed? Thanks

Great pics, all!

Gary are you traveling with your staff??

that's what I call being prepared. That is a man who thoroughly appreciates a good staff 8) :thumbup:

Welcome Howard.

This morning I was just walking down the street to place a throwline in a neighbor's, mostly-dead, hollow maple in preparation for pulling it over. Two cyclists came rolling down the street, and one yelled my name. They turned around, and it was a prior customer of mine (I went to grade school with his younger sister). He was riding a nice Orbea, but reminded me that I had sold him his first nice bicycle, a Trek 460 back when I owned two bicycle shops. Got an invite to ride with them.

Mostly I ride the NX-7, but I also recently bought a like-new Kona Jake cyclocross bike from a professor at the University who never really got into riding. I still have the Trek 520 I rode through Scotland and across the country, a Windsor Professional (the builder of these bikes was a gentleman by the name of Remo Vecchi, who had worked for Cinelli in Italy, until he was brought over to Mexico to build these bikes - the reason Windsor Pros are virtual copies of actual Cinelli's).

I have several other bikes (my wife would say too many). My current renovation/rebuild is a 1962 Peugeot tandem, with 650B tyres fitted. It came to me in a round-a-bout way, but was originally owned by the couple who got me started cycling in 1968. Fran and Pat Hart spent their honeymoon hitchhiking around Europe, but when they could not get rides in the south of Spain they went to a bicycle shop and bought the tandem. Six years later when I started going on rides with them (at 12 years old) they had refitted the tandem so it was steerable from the rear, and added an elevated crankset so their three year old daughter could go on the rides, too

Back