The Biking Thread

What do you guys carry for tools/spares on your bikes? Just trying to get some new ideas and opinions.

Back in the day I was a minimalist, I had the Jandd mini tool pack, http://www.pedaltheplanet.com/produ...7&cadevice=c&gclid=CMqt76GT-cECFYIDaQodCqEAjQ , the old stand by patch kit, http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Rema...utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=UnitedStates the crank bothers multi 5 https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pr...m=base&adl=1&gclid=CNGMmviT-cECFatDMgodAGAAkA (a great tool BTW!) then an innovations CO2 inflater and a couple of tire levers. That bag was pretty well stuffed!
So far for the new bike I've snagged a Topeak mini 9 pro, http://www.bikeahead.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TOP03194&gclid=CL2_wO-U-cECFWeCMgod4zcAug, for a song off of evilbay, and a $3 saddle bag, off of evilbay. It's coming from China, so we'll see how the quality is, and a patch kit.
I think I want to carry a spare tube on this one, but I haven't decided on an inflation system, pump or CO2. I like both, but the fact you have to air up the tube to find the leak, which just killed one of the cartridges you have, kinda makes me leery. But with a spare tube, who cares? That and it's so much easier than pumping to air up a tire!

I carry a spare tube or a tire if it's a tubular, the kind that has the tube sewn up inside the tire. Plus a couple tire levers and a pump. They have mini pimps now that fit in a saddle bag. They aren't the quickest pumps, but do in a jam. I might carry a wrench if I'm thinking to possibly modify an adjustment.

Here is my latest frankencycle, so far I love it. No derailuer to get ripped off in the woods and electric boost for climbing the steep stuff. Super fun but I have a long way to go to perfect it

IMG_0554.jpg

Im really just posting this to get under Jays skin:P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wicked looking bike! Whats up with that seat post?

That was an interesting read Kevin, didn't get through all of it yet. Funnily I rode tonight without a helmet as I wanted to wear my headphones and listen to some tunes. Man what a luxury that was. You typically cant ride with tunes in the woods as you end up ripping your derailleur off, I don't have a derailleur (YAH). Did pinch flat though and had to push that heavy turd 2 miles out. Running 10psi and want to run less so I need to go tubeless.

When I was racing in Europe on the road Pros didn't wear helmets, nobody wore them training.

I built my machinist a pretty sweet road Ebike . He is 65 and hasn't ridden a bike since he was a teenager, pretty out of shape.He loves riding again. He wants to start commuting his 12 mile each way commute . Now tell me that aint a positive change in his life. He don't wear a helmet either.

Awesome.

Bike appts are fun, fo sho!

Tell more about the single speed. what about the hills??:|:

I started biking last february. Was able to ride all winter. Really makes you feel good, my pants stopped fitting over my upper leg, its nuts. I slowed down in summer in trade for the motocross. Typically a 10 mile woods loop around here is enough to kick your ass, our most is 30 in VT.

All mountain riding. Did some downhill parks too, with the lift assist to the top. Those are fun. Did a couple trips to VT too

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 26
Awesome. Tell em the steal you got on dat bike.

Expensive but worth it.

Or do like brendo and get 50%off

What do ya'll think about those bikes with the giant fat tires?

I asked a guy riding one and he said he loved it.

Good for the beach and snow I believe.

Re single speeds with no brakes, just reverse pedal force to slow down, I've heard they are an insane workout.

It sounds like fun! Until you try it;)

I have a fat tire bike with electric assist and love it. Yes the tires soak up the shocks and also offer awesome traction. Heavy as all get out though.

Back