The Biking Thread

cory

Tree House enthusiast
This article got me pumped to ride my bike, haven't been on it in maybe 5 years:cry:

I've been a lifelong rider, mostly for transportation, never gone super far.

Cool, but I'm a power walker. I'm skeered to get hit by a car riding a bike.

But let this thread rock on!

Where's the article?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My hope is to get on the bike everyday, or as much as is possible. Picking relatively non traffic roads and certain times of the day can make a big difference. The difference here between riding home at 6 or at 7 is no comparison. 6 and everyone at the wheel in front or behind being stressed is the norm, by 7 they have disappeared. Done the 5 AM thing too, but more for training than enjoyment. Everyone else's dinner hour is a good time, or mid afternoon. If you are a new rider or starting again after a long lapse, figure a minimum three months to a year to get in decent riding shape. Got to be patient with that. Once in fairly good riding condition, it isn't hard to maintain it, and the level of enjoyment is much enhanced, not having to struggle with yourself. Lots of folks get a bike and give up way too soon. Everyone rides a bike and the world becomes more sane, is my solution.

Get on that sucker, Cory!

Yeah, Jay!

I am definitely thinking of an early morning start, for safety, and enjoyment (once I get out of bed..)

Is texting and driving a big problem over there like it is here??

It can be a problem, still the idiots of course, but since the copers got tougher it is improved. I had a bad crash once, where a lady pulled out from a stop sign and I slammed into her door, hit my face on her roof edge. I'm laying in the street with a big gash across my nose with running blood, and she gets out and asks me if I am alright. LOL Since then, I ride much more cautiously, try to be aware of what is possibly shaping up ahead, not trusting people to see me or obey laws. Slow down even when entering intersections when I totally have the right of way. It isn't paranoid, just cautious. As far as the people coming up from behind, the ones that may be too old to safely have a license, the drunk ones, or people with dogs on their lap or messing with their phones, just wish yourself good luck. Wear a helmet and have a good light if you ride at night! A rear blinker makes a big difference in the distance before drivers register a rider ahead and by the grace of God think to slow down, compared to simply a reflector. There are some cool lights on the market now. *Beware of taxis, generally good drivers but in a hurry.

Totally agree, caution and luck:/:

You guys read the article? Its pretty wild.

Crud, I was about to tell you guys about the motorcycle I have been riding for a couple of weeks!

I have not been on a "bike" for twenty years, probably from the time I ran it over with my pickup. I was cool though, dad and I found it in a dump and we fixed it up.

We have an ex racer in the forum. An English lad, I can't recall if it is Pete or Paul. Lost his mind on the track.

I haven't been active on a bike since I was a teen, but as a teen, I rode almost daily and covered serious ground for a kid. I have always been big into fishing and as a teen, my mountain bike was my taxi. I would bike many miles to a good fishing hole. Alone.

So when I was 15 or so I spent a summer in Boulder, Colorado. Stayed in town but worked on a horse ranch 12 miles from town. I asked my uncle that I stayed with that summer how I would be getting to work each day. He pointed to a bike. So, 12 miles to work, work in the sun all day doing serious labor(loading hay wagons by hand, pounding fence posts), 12 miles back. I don't remember being that upset either. It was what it was I guess. Some days I was able to bypass the bike ride.

Every time I see this thread I think it says the Bikini thread. Summer is here I guess. I used to ride 12-15 daily on an old mountain bike. Now I want a fat tire bike to hit the beach or just sneak through the woods.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405292280.391693.jpg

Single speeds are great. It's all you really need if not riding hills. More gears sells bikes, people think it makes riding easier and adds to the cool factor. A three speed would be great too, if still anybody makes them.

Yeah single speeds seem really cool, though I've never tried one:|:

Hey Chris, anybody ever tell you you got some very cool uncles???????

I've never understood the need for 10+ gears. 3, 5, TOPS. Personally, I like a three speed. That's all I need. Do they even make them anymore?

Sounds cool, Nick!

If getting in shape is the main purpose of wanting to ride, a single speed will accomplish that faster. You can't wimp out and shift to easier pedaling, only your own power to get you up hills. I like single because they are quiet as well, no gear train that adds noise. I also ride a bike that doesn't have a freewheel, i.e. you can't coast, always have to be pedaling. I think it is really the best shape up bike, but there is some element of danger, like if the thing gets away from you when going down a hill. Brakes help, but not as effective when the bike has the momentum of pedals going around as well. Best to brake by pushing against the pedal movement. That is how track bikes work, but without any brakes allowed. Brakes are considered dangerous on the track, people riding in such close proximity at hellish speeds, you don't want the guy a couple inches ahead of you slamming on the brakes.

Do some involved riding on mountain trails and you'll understand where 10 speeds shine. Mountain riding offers extreme variety. Cross country road biking also. Where a person is going for distance and encounters changes in grade. It lets them fine tune the gear they need so they can maintain a rhythm in their effort. Casual riding? No. No need usually.

I agree, more speeds is practical for long distance over varied terrain, and steep changing grades in both directions, especially when racing. One of the beautiful things of high end bikes is how smoothly they can shift now, and when under stress, the technology has gone a long way. For just casual riding and tooling around town, lots of gears isn't needed, imo. I've come to that conclusion after many years and lots of miles. Weight is another factor that is big for marketing. A light bike is cool, especially for hills, but it doesn't necessarily add to the enjoyment. An aluminum frame feels dead to me compared to light steel, but it is an individual thing.

There are some exquisite bike frames being made in the states by individual makers, artistic welding of a very high order. Awesome workmanship and riding qualities. Expensive and often a long wait.

Its definitely not a single speed! Its a touring bike so it has a lot of gears. Its made by a company called Salsa Cycles, and their bikes are billed as ultimate adventure cycles.

MB, LA is totally flat, right, so no need for gears where you live.

Nick, cool on the new bike. You mention adventure, you might get a kick out of the article at start of this thread.

Jay, speaking of quiet single speeds, have you tried the ones with a poly belt instead of a chain, must be sweeeeeet and stealthy.

Back