drying firewood?

Speaking of firewood I just got a call from Tom .It seems he and crew are going to attack that 12-15 cords of oak setting in my woods today .In one day they'll never get it all split even with two splitters .

Although a couple years ago myself and one helper got around 6 in one day but it was not stacked .Ha this old country fart worked that guy like a rented mule .He said to my wife,I can't believe that old coot out worked me .
Tain't what you do tis how you do it .Tortise and hare thing .:D

Well they did fairly well all considered .Looks to be about 5 cords split .I helped a tad and got sawdust in my ear so to speak cutting down out of a pile to length .First I'd ran a saw in probabley 6 months .There's at least twice again that much left.

I think after all my time of saying it Tom might have finally realized it's much better to cut to firewood length on the job site rather than fight it out of a big pile .The damned stuff ,oak gets about half dried and full of dirt etc from getting shoved around with a skid loader .Oak is a breeze cut green but it does get hard after it sets a tad .

Prob with that is you have to find a way to get rid of two barrels of sawdust. I cut into firewood on the job probably once this year. Didn't warrant bringing the loader. Best to have the mess at home. Or your wood lot. Than raking it out of your custys yard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No s##t , I hate cutting up wood on the job, so much cleanup!! Id rater do it in the Eve on my splitting table with a beer in my hand;)

They don't do that much raking .He's got several hand held Stihl blowers and a BR 420 back pack .

With a little practice on a mown lawn you can windrow saw chips pretty well .I've done it myself .

If i don't cut it on the job then I end up piling it up in my yard and looking at it trying to convince myself that one of these days I'm going to get around to cutting it and mostly I just look at it.

That means there was a big enough lull in work. Its a good thing never to be able to catch up in some ways.

I'm behind for the frst time in 20 years or so.
Didn't bother to make any last winter, since I was selling the house anyway.
Now that I'm staying it means I'll have to make 2 years worth this winter.
We'll be logging in the forest behind my house, maybe I can sweet talk the forwarder driver into bringing a few loads home for me.

For my own use I have enough split and stacked to make it through this winter .Plus enough cut but not split to make it through next .

I won't be burning as much this winter because with Dar gone nobody to stoke the fire while I'm at work .I can bank it enough it will still be burning the hours I'm gone but it won't put out much heat .

I'm anal about having fuelwood in the sheds...we burn about 2 cords a year, we have 8 in storage and will put 2 to 4 more back this fall.

I'm getting tired of getting firewood for the shop. It is almost never ending, collecting it for next winter while burning it for this winter. :|:

I am slacking this year. I have wood all over the place I need to just gather up and put away. Since we got horses, I don't want to fight them coming in the side pasture gate. The rear gate sux and is just a temp that is a pain to mess with. I also have three more trees to TD on both sides of the creek. Serious slacking
I'll get over it. :lol:

I am thinking of drying some firewood (mostly ash) in my basement this year near 3000 sq ft wood furnace. We'll see how it goes.... I will definitely use some electric fans to keep the air moving..

Firewood has been stored/dried in my parents basement for two generations. If you're heating with wood it will dry fast.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I am having a large wood burner installed in the basement and will not put any wood down there until it's running. I have heard it is a tried and true method but had others say it would crap up my house with wet air/mold.

The wood is mostly ash (some red maple and beech) that was cut this summer and currently being split this fall.

Ash dries out fast .You probabley won't even need a fan .Oak BTW will probabley never dry out if it isn't split .Maple if it isn't split and kept under cover will grow mushrooms in about a year .

Back