drying firewood?

Could be I suppose? Larch seems slower growing and thus tends to be more consistently tighter grained than fir, is what I've found. BTU 'ratings' can be what they are but certainly there is room for a lot of variation depending on how the individual tree has grown. I've burned fir with growth rings the size of my thumb, and some with rings so tight they're barely distinguishable. Same species, big difference in btu's.

Could be I suppose? Larch seems slower growing and thus tends to be more consistently tighter grained than fir, is what I've found. BTU 'ratings' can be what they are but certainly there is room for a lot of variation depending on how the individual tree has grown. I've burned fir with growth rings the size of my thumb, and some with rings so tight they're barely distinguishable. Same species, big difference in btu's.

All true, no argument. As to the difference between oldgrowth Df and younger individuals...absolutely.

Maybe we 'value' larch more around here too as it's not as common as fir, seems like within a stand more often then not the larch will be tall, clear, and slightly skinnier than the fir. Those attributes combined seem to make a nice firewood.

Fir is mostly all I burn as it's so plentiful here and really is a excellent wood. When I worked in the woods still though I'd often have a good mix of larch in my pile too. Less so nowadays.

See the diff .Here in the heart land we shun away from anything considered of the pine family .Of course we have no native pines on this side of the state .Nothing but hardwoods .

Couple years ago Tom had some southern yellow pine which I was just going to use for camp firewood .My Lawd that stuff was like splitting elm .

20140821_110836.jpg

This is the best way I have found to stack firewood. It's great. Eliminates a lot of handling sorry for the rotation

I filled mine the rest of the way yesterday. This is before that pic. So neat this way. I love it. Ive got another four cord to split, and ill make another one next to this one. I figure there has gotta be 6-8 cord in mine. More on the high side. Its wide and tall.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 65
I filled mine the rest of the way yesterday. This is before that pic. So neat this way. I love it. Ive got another four cord to split, and ill make another one next to this one. I figure there has gotta be 6-8 cord in mine. More on the high side. Its wide and tall.

that picture shows how great it is that you only have to stack the outside. the inside is just thrown in. and it still looks good

I've always racked it and stacked it on old pallets.Tom just throws it in a big heap .

The heap probabley works as well if you use it up before the bottom of the heap gets all funky .

Well I told Tom that fact also but he's hard headed .You get down to the bottom and it's about half rotten after a time .Probabley not a big deal if you are growing mushrooms not so good for firewood .

The bottom layer is all crotch wood and off sizes. A circle is great and easier to stack than square. The trick is to stack it so every three or for rows you slant the stack back toward the middle otherwise it falls apart outwards.

I would not stack nice like that if i sold it. I sell logs. They get touched on the job, and straight to the customers house. :D

I might sell two to four cord of split to pay to fill my oil tank for the year. Thats it.

I could square stack it 8 feet tall if I could reach it .These old 66 shoulders however are not like they used to be .Father time gets all some time or another --sucks .:(

Back