MegaPine

Here's how to embed videos;

1) Do NOT copy/paste the page url.
2) Click the "share" button - a embed button will appear underneath/to the left.
3) Scroll down and click the "embed" button - a blue highlighted address will appear.
4) Copy/paste THAT address in your post.

Here 'tis...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Y0oh3OROoRY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would have used a bigger bullrope and roped the entire limb, no stubs. There was plenty of room... no need to be piecing them out.

Big one... easy to say from the arm chair, but I think I would have done a few things diffy. More gin pole if possible and less negative blocking some of it. Looked like you were cutting for groundy manageability, could not go too big pending staff.
I would have kept my block closer to my work as well. Were you worried about the load getting below you? looked like your rope person was smooth enough.

im guessing that wood is much larger then it appeared on camera. how many ground guys did u have mate?
19mm rigging line? that rope seems familiar i seem to remember a guy in nz showing me it once it has a stupid amount of strength if its the one in thinking about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
im guessing that wood is much larger then it appeared on camera. how many ground guys did u have mate?
19mm rigging line? that rope seems familiar i seem to remember a guy in nz showing me it once it has a stupid amount of strength if its the one in thinking about.

If I can load photos without Fb then I can show the lower limbs that are already cleared by day four when I first bought the helmet cam.
there is a album on my google+ account with the photos on there.
the company I was contracting for this job gave me two groundies each day and they had a uphill drag on a steep concrete driveway to the chipper.
All the wood stayed (thankfully for everyone) and my brief was to get the tree down to a point at roughly eighty feet or until it was no longer efficient and safe to continue blocking down on rope.
Then a 100ton crane and their rigging and cutting team would come in to remove the rest.
the rope is 19mm bull rigger by sherrill made by Yale and was purchased by myself for this job so I would have a 300ft lowering rope with the strength needed and still not be a big bull rope.
also purchased new pulleys had custom length whoopies and cambium savers made just for this job.
tensile strength of rope is 12750 pounds.
I didn't have access to a bollard and 19mm seems about the max comfortable for the portawrap ( and boy is that rope got some weight at that length).

Big one... easy to say from the arm chair, but I think I would have done a few things diffy. More gin pole if possible and less negative blocking some of it. Looked like you were cutting for groundy manageability, could not go too big pending staff.
I would have kept my block closer to my work as well. Were you worried about the load getting below you? looked like your rope person was smooth enough.

You are reading the situation accurately and this was nearly two years ago now and I look at the way some things were done in a different light.
This was not my first big tree, it was a mountain of wood and seemed very daunting but I had been brought into a takedown already started by another climber
who had formulated a plan and time frame with the company that was unrealistic so was removed from the job.
I picked up the work from that perspective and so the boss would drop the truck and chipper on site in the morning with the two staff and come back late afternoon to pick them and equipment up.
the climbing days were interspersed with no two consecutive days on site.

I would have used a bigger bullrope and roped the entire limb, no stubs. There was plenty of room... no need to be piecing them out.

Yeh I do agree about the stubs and looking back after nearly two years there is a lot I would have done in a different way.
apologies about the url misunderstanding, I don't participate in FB so was ignorant, if there is a way around the issue please let me know.

Magnificent tree to be working in! Well done.

Hey just out of curiosity, what block where you using?

block is 20mm ISC spring block.
yeh this one bit hard as was so healthy, a vibrant beautiful tree that potentially had a lifespan far beyond the norm for this country due to the unique environment
it was growing in. even the microcosm of moss and lichen was magnificent such a shame to have to remove a real behemoth but at the end of the day my bank manager
doesn't care if I skin pandas for a living and now there is two at the local zoo that job just got a whole lot easier.:lol:
On the other hand how many times do you get to try your luck at a task like this one.
so I thank you very much for the time you took to celebrate the demise of this grand old girl with me.:thumbup:

Thankyou kind sir, the tree had been pruned well in in past and at no part of the tree during the removal did I see any signs of internal infection or other problems.
In the end what pains me more is just how vibrant the tree was given its age, size and geographic situation, we have hot long dry summers with a mediteranian climate subject
to El nino effects so the particular location the tree was growing at seems perfect for pine.
real shame this one was removed not to many trees I have cut down that i feel so responsible about.

Thanks for sharing the vid. Cool scenery too. The classical music was a nice change, likely to endear you to some of the intelligentsia here!

Back