EAB economics

matdand

TreeHouser
I'm wondering how EAB has affected the timber market in areas that were hit hard? The insect has just started to do it's damage in more urban areas around here, which will bring alot of climbing business.

My question is more about how a mass flooding of ash wood has affected it's value? Is ash wood worth next to nothing in local markets where EAB has affected forest?

In my parts, you can't move ash wood to some mills because of transport restriction. This has left loggers with piles of ash wood doing nothing... And me thinking. I can't imagine what will happen when acres and acres of ash forest start to decline. The race will be on!

I invited my local forestry manager over to the house tonight so that I could show him something I found while processing firewood this afternoon. He's not entirely sure what it is.....but we both have our suspicions.

Any feedback from our members here would be greatly appreciated.

A big THANK YOU in advance.

Joel

006.jpg 007.jpg 010.jpg 012.jpg

MB,

It came from a dead Green Ash tree. I believe this is a sign of EAB larvae at work, but the local forestry manager tells me that there are no known cases of EAB in North Dakota....until now? I honestly don't know.....but it sure looks like the work of the Emerald Ash Borer larvae to me. I'm looking for any information our members may be able to provide.

All I have to go on is this.....

Joel

https://www.google.com/search?q=eme...media-emerald-ash-borer-slideshow.xml;600;400

Welcome to Emerald Ash Borer Joel. It looks like the calm before the storm. What percentage would you say the Ash trees make up make up out of the total population of trees in Cando?

From what I have seen that is a mild attack of EAB around here the bark just about falls off because of the large amount of larva tunnels.

Thanks for the replies, folks. Yep......just what I figured....EAB. This is horrible news for us, as Green Ash is our most common tree. If there is any good news that could come from this discovery, it's the fact that our State government has already made provisions for attacking this problem. Millions of dollars have already been allocated to the battle.

Joel

So.......what are we facing here? If this turns out to be EAB, what can I expect as a result of this discovery? Who is the leading expert on the war against EAB? I'm sure some of our members.....if not all.....have been involved with this battle at one time or another. Some input on how the world changes for guys like me would be greatly appreciated.

Joel

Gear up! Here comes a short lived flood. You will be having a bunch of start ups happen as the epidemic spreads.

If you cut the trees while they still have some life left they will propigate from the roots .Fact I've got some secondary growth that is around 12 feet high in two or three years .

Now I'm certainly no forester but it seems for some reason the EAB will bypass small saplings .I can only assume it knows there is not enough inner bark surface area to feed the larva .

Al Smith,

You're right, Sir. A green ash is a very hardy tree. Cutting it down does not get rid of the thing. It will grow back fairly quickly.

I didn't know that the EAB would avoid the saplings. This is something I'll have to explore further. Thanks for that.

The local forestry manager is very alarmed by this discovery. It's got him worked up pretty good. I wish I knew more about the State's plan of attack as it pertains to battling this. From what I've heard the State legislature has already allocated a large sum of money dedicated to the battle against EAB. I wonder if the homeowners will be partially compensated for any tree that has to be removed at their expense?

Can someone here explain how this is handled in your area?

Joel

Can anyone tell me a little bit about the disposal process regarding EAB infected ash? Does the tree have to be entirely destroyed by fire, chipper, etc? This is all new to me, folks. Forgive me for asking such trivial questions regarding this issue.

Joel

My work territory is dominated by white ash. The woods here are predominantly white ash. So should I expect a business boom for a bit at some point. It's been confirmed here but no invasion yet.

Expect to be removing a shit ton of ash trees for the next few years Chris. Like a TON. Business will be booming for you. You'll be so sick of removing Ash trees, your guys will jump in joy when you tell them you're removing a Tulip Poplar that day.

Lot of money in the treatment as well. 1 guy can make as much as a 4 man crew. Around here the cost is around $10 per caliber inch.

The only tree I haven't really seen it affect much is the Blue Ash. They either take a much longer time to die from the borer or have some sort of resistance too it. Hopefully that holds up, as Blue Ash are some of my favorite and most majestic trees. They'll live up to 300 years old, just awesome trees.

If you have been serving you community for a while, incorporate that into advertising... Serving the xxxxxx community since 2001. Sperate yourself from those serving the EAB epidemic since 2015.

Super promote ash preservation. Many people won't know until its too late. Written info to disseminate to customers about eab and the need for early intervention. The bark falling off from the tunnels , with pictures, makes an impression as an anecdote.

SouthSoundTree,

Thank you for the suggestions on the advertising, as well as the tips on educating the public as to how to go about the intervention issue.

I have a lot of homework to do. I've been reading about quarantined counties and municipalities, as well as the rules and regulations pertaining to diseased wood disposal.

I'm still not sure about what happens at the disposal site. Is the bark removed and burned? Are the infected trees simply stored there? I can't find any information pertaining to the disposal process. Anyone have any idea what goes on at the disposal site? Thanks.

Joel

Whatever the goobermint plan is it probably will be an utter failure. Start telling every customer with an ash tree to treat preventatively with Imidacloprid as a basal drench.(There are other chemical treatments but as of now Imidacloprid applied as basal drench has the most documented efffectiveness and is cheapest). Plan on extra removal work.

Expect to be removing a shit ton of ash trees for the next few years Chris. Like a TON. Business will be booming for you. You'll be so sick of removing Ash trees, your guys will jump in joy when you tell them you're removing a Tulip Poplar that day.

Lot of money in the treatment as well. 1 guy can make as much as a 4 man crew. Around here the cost is around $10 per caliber inch.

The only tree I haven't really seen it affect much is the Blue Ash. They either take a much longer time to die from the borer or have some sort of resistance too it. Hopefully that holds up, as Blue Ash are some of my favorite and most majestic trees. They'll live up to 300 years old, just awesome trees.

Just curious what treatment method(s) you're talking about? Trunk injection, soil injection, soil drench? Emamectin benzoate or imidacloprid?
Thanks.

EAB is well established in my region and almost into my state.

I can imagine systemic insecticide treatment being an easy sell for some, $100 +/- every couple years vs. $1000 +/- now.

But I constantly get customers who see only financial burden in tree preservation and would rather "prune from the ground"... What is the trick? I definitely charge plenty for removals.

If you have been serving you community for a while, incorporate that into advertising... Serving the xxxxxx community since 2001. Sperate yourself from those serving the EAB epidemic since 2015.

Super promote ash preservation. Many people won't know until its too late. Written info to disseminate to customers about eab and the need for early intervention. The bark falling off from the tunnels , with pictures, makes an impression as an anecdote.
I'm seriously on the fence about that. Ash tree treatment is expensive, not a guarantee, and is a repeat program. There's a fine line with these things. If people will realize the treatment doesn't last, its one thing. But part of selling insecticide treatment is making them aware that in this case, they are taking on an expense until they've had enough spending, then the trees come down anyhow. Same with HWA. I treat for it, but if they can't understand that its a 2 year band aid, I won't do it.

EAB is well established in my region and almost into my state.

I can imagine systemic insecticide treatment being an easy sell for some, $100 +/- every couple years vs. $1000 +/- now.

But I constantly get customers who see only financial burden in tree preservation and would rather "prune from the ground"... What is the trick? I definitely charge plenty for removals.

What chemical are you using? TreeAge?

Back