Hunting 2014

Man , I thought I was a pretty good little birsder, but unless you are shooting Germans ( which is kinda late, they went out of season 69 years ago) I don't get it?????

Huns??????????????????????

hungarian partridge maybe?

Deer hunted almost all day, passed on a couple smaller doe. Did not see one buck unfortunately. I did purchase my first semi auto shotgun for duck/geese hunting today tho!

What did the Franchi run you? I've been thinking about a new semi as well.
The black synthetic was $699 and the camo that I got was $799

Franchi is good stuff for sure.

I have an M2 Benelli American. It was on sale and was cheaper than the Franchi next to it. 650 bucks.

Have fun with your new scattergun!
That's a great price for a benelli! Thanks I can't wait to put some rounds through it!

Took a young man hunting today for the second time in his life, (I took him last week for the first time). He desperately wants to take a hog and last week it was right at dark and a little too late for an ethical shot when some finally appeared. We were driving in today and spotted a couple of hogs in some planted pines, rolled on by and slipped back to put on a stalk, got within 40 yards of a whopper boar and I could see this kid was a nervous wreck with a bad case of hog fever so instead of letting him take an offhand shot I whispered to him to lay down, get prone and put one in the fat boy's ear. He got caught moving and the hog was gone in a flash. I felt like a heel and he was disappointed again. He sat in a stand until dark and once more nothing showed until shooting light was gone. It's a grudge match now. I promise to post some pics of him with some pork very soon, Lord willing.

The right call, none the less. A poor odds shot is a fools errand...and a failure would likely do the opposite in so far as helping his nerves next opportunity.

When its meant to be, it'll be.

Good on you for staying with the ethics, that's what its all about, imo

I like reading you guys talking about guns. If I ever move back to the states I want to go buy a gun. :/: I have never owned one, but shot a few and made a stock for a Mannlicher rifle. That rifle felt very good to hold in your hands, and i got to know it intimately.

Was hoping to get a fall turkey but came home with 3 mountain quail (only 2 in pic)

Kicked up 4 coveys or so but cover so thick you just hear em flush and no see em :(

A fun day in the sierras nevadas

I bought dad a 1937 Model 70 Winchester in 30-06. A 1937 is pretty much the high water mark for American blued steel and walnut. The rifle I bought however was a wreck. The stock was wrong, the action had a bunch of holes drilled in the wrong spots for different scope mounts. My friend the gunsmith searched for five years for the right stock. I tried to repair one he found but I am no stock mechanic. I cant cut a straight checkering line to save my ass!. It had dents too that I could not heat out. He finally found a stock that looked like it had been in a gun cabinet since 1937. The Mod. 70 only used this particular stock for a few years, I believe only in the thirties. After the stock was found my gunsmith friend had to fill the holes in the side of the action, including one right in the middle of the Winchester Trade mark. He drilled the holes out and found some round stock to make plugs out of. The plugs then get peened into the holes to swedge them out a bit and then polished. You CAN NOT see an edge. Of course having the trade mark screwed up would not do so he sent it to a master engraver friend of his. He replicated the trade mark perfectly. The rifle was then coated in a black ceramic. Not quite ideal, but it was a lot cheaper than blueing and will last forever. It does have a pleasing matte finish, not quite the liquid blue look but pretty damn good.

All that was left was to install a peep sight, recoil pad, and a vintage leather sling. I put the rifle into my grandfather's leather saddle scabbard and gave the rifle to Dad on his birthday.

To say that dad was emotional would be an understatement. Mom says he takes the rifle out sometimes and just holds it. It pleased me very much to see him that happy.

Not really sure if my little story has anything to do with but I like telling this story. I would like to show it to you someday Jay.

Yeah, that's a cool story, Jim. I found that making a stock to fit well around the rifle parts and have tight fitting with no unneeded gaps, and also no unneeded excess wood left, is rather delicate work. There must be some good tricks to know to help things. I can understand it being a special trade.

Excellent Jim. I did the same with my dads model 870 shotgun. It was a nice gun before his teenaged sin beat the hell out of it in the marsh slaying ducks. When I turned thirty I gave his fully restored gun back. Emotional indeed.

Well my season just wrapped up here - one 3 year old bull moose, 0ne Whitetail with the rifle and one with the bow. All in all a rather touch season ... for the time spent!!! Was skunked on Mulie and Elk!!!

Back