Hunting 2014

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A dog needs a few tools. A stapler, pliers, and something to clot blood.

Don't need pliers here, No porcupines.
With my dogs spending so much time in the woods, that is one animal that I'm actually glad we don't have.

Ray, my point is that y'all go on and on about how much damage the large predators do, and how they should be controlled, which means kept to a minimum, unless i read it wrong.

What you get then is Denmark.

Come live in a country where the most dangerous wild animal is a deer tick for a while and see how you like that.

The wolves, bears, whatever may be a nuisance, but once they are gone there ain't no-one to eat the city folks when they venture off the path:lol:

To your point and mine Stig, I don't want to exterminate anything and I definitely want some around to keep the city slickers on their toes. Everything has it's place and I enjoy seeing predators just like anyone else, after all, I am one. Coyotes were introduced here in the 70's. We could debate the fact of whether or not they existed in the southeast in the last few millennia, but that point is moot. The point is, they are overpopulated now and just like deer, bears, hogs, elephants or mice, when that condition exists, bad things happen. Normally both prey and predator populations suffer in the long run, but that has not proven to be true with coyotes. When coyotes deplete a preferred prey, they just switch to another. They have killed out the native rabbit and red fox populations here and grey fox are not far behind. I, like most, like balance. Things are out of balance right now and being the nice guy I am, I plan on doing my fair share to swing the pendulum the other way by being the most dominant large predator on the planet. :)

Cool.
Only problem with that is that " the most dominant large predator on the planet" is at the root of all the problems.
So the best thing to do would be to start killing humans since they are the one thing the planet is over populated with.
Good hunting!
A .223 ought to do just fine.:D

So what of armadillos? Anyone in favor of total annihilation of them? I remember the first one I saw back in 1983. I have wished a million times I had gone to greater lengths to kill it. Perhaps we wouldn't be overrun with them now!

At least you can eat a diller! I hunted 'Bama in the 80's and 90's and there were armadillos by the gillions. A friend's bulldog would crunch them like potato chips. They were brought into Florida from Texas back in the early 1900s and spread from there in the southeast.

I take it you mean south Alabama. We didn't have them here until the 90s for the most part. I saw that first one in '83, then didn't see another one for a good while. Now they're as common as crooked politicians.

I actually like the way New Zealand does it. If an animal gets out of control, they drop poison from the air. They realize that man and beast must exist together. But if the rabbits start costing the boys money, well, they dont exist too well together.

But then again, New Zealand did not have many animals before man came. Actual till white dudes showed up.

The weird part about coyotes, and science has proven this, is that the harder they are pressured, the more successfully they breed.

I take it you mean south Alabama. We didn't have them here until the 90s for the most part. I saw that first one in '83, then didn't see another one for a good while. Now they're as common as crooked politicians.
Boy they are thick Smitty! Just west of Selma for the most part.

I actually like the way New Zealand does it. If an animal gets out of control, they drop poison from the air. They realize that man and beast must exist together. But if the rabbits start costing the boys money, well, they dont exist too well together.

But then again, New Zealand did not have many animals before man came. Actual till white dudes showed up.
You had Moas and those giant birds of prey till the Maoris arrived. I'd love to have seen them!

Coyotes are probably helping with that too;)

As far as I know, New Zealand has no "large predators" except us. What a paradise!:P Y'all hold down the fort here, I'll be in the woods for the next few days, with all this predator/prey talk, a primordial urge is rising up in me to fulfill my role in the grand scheme of things and be what I was designed to be.

Went hunting today for my first time ever. We went out for pheasant but didn't have much luck. Had a great time tho and can't wait to go out again! I do plan on going out for deer next Friday and Saturday, fingers crossed!

I'm sorry I didn't call back Mike. My mind is mush this week. Lets talk before you are around this way on Sunday.

Grouse hunted for six hours yesterday....jumped two birds. Didn't take shot at either one. Hunting grouse with no dog is hard ......stalking and listening . Had doe walk within 50 yds. Can't take doe until last day of season. I'm hunting meat....not antlers for the wall.

I much prefer grouse though. More moving around, the sitting and waiting in a stand seems to get old fast. I have yet to kill a deer.

When I worked in the woods a guy I worked with 'hunted' grouse all the time. Matted it everytime one spooked onto the bush road. Kept ziplocs in the glove box. Happened quite a bit really.

I'm sorry I didn't call back Mike. My mind is mush this week. Lets talk before you are around this way on Sunday.

No worries Chris figured you were busy! I'll give you a shout tomorrow or Saturday!

Grouse hunted for six hours yesterday....jumped two birds. Didn't take shot at either one. Hunting grouse with no dog is hard ......stalking and listening . Had doe walk within 50 yds. Can't take doe until last day of season. I'm hunting meat....not antlers for the wall.

I much prefer grouse though. More moving around, the sitting and waiting in a stand seems to get old fast. I have yet to kill a deer.

I'm not to sure how I will be in a stand. I would rather be moving then sitting as well.

Man , I thought I was a pretty good little birsder, but unless you are shooting Germans ( which is kinda late, they went out of season 69 years ago) I don't get it?????

Huns??????????????????????

Didnt know Montana had ptarmigans, thats cool!

DFG planted a few here in cali near Sonora pass by Yosmite, HWY 395 side....the bad is there around 10,000ft elevation, I think ill pass..lol

Alaska has loads of ptarmigan, would love to upland and Caribou hunt ;)

Back