Hunting 2014

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im not a scope snob. I appreciate the quality and accuracy that come with the high end stuff but Ive found there's some good values to be had on the affordable end too. My go to deer rifle is a Ruger M77 Hawkeye 7 Mag(yet I am a Remington 700 snob). Back on track. Ive had a few good scopes over the years but my go to meat rifle has an inexpensive Nikon Pro Staaff on it and its a damn good scope for the money. Eastern hunting scope that is. After some work on that gun, and fighting to shoot the tooling marks out of its garbage barrel, it will shoot .4's with a certain load all day long if it isn't hot out. My point in that, is that the Pro Staff scope for as cheap as it is, stays together and honest and consistent. Not as clear as a VX3, but not as expensive either. That pro staff has taken some hard bangs too and holds a zero. REAL hard bangs. Like slipping on ice on a road with the gun on my shoulder and me going down with the gun and using the butt to break my fall. Never lost its zero.

What Im getting at is I firmly believe theres some value in some affordable scopes these days. Hunting scopes I emphasize. I wouldn't take that Nikon to a match.

Im a Leupold scope man...other scopes out there good too...leupold is one tough optic, got 3 ;)

She looks like she is coming along fine Chris :thumbup:

My new shweet thang came home today after my 10 day wait that was more like 14.....
Now about a scope.......

Nice Stephen!

Last month I picked up a ruger 77/44 all weather bolt

I put on a leupold 3x9 ultralight VX2

Stephen, that weapon looks accurate just lying there in the case

I am leaning toward something more affordable than the Weavers.
This gun will be getting hiked into hills and dales, rocks and wood. Kids will be shooting it as well.
Leopold, Nikon and Bushnell are all getting pretty good reviews on the lower end. 300 yards is about the farthest I will be shooting so it does not need to be huge on magnification.

I have one on my 77-22 target and like it very much. There are so many great scopes under 500 dollars these days, we are in the good ole days. I do miss the old steel tube Weavers though.

I ruined three on my 10-22's. Broke the cross wires. I wonder if someone could fix them. I know if I send them to Weaver they will just throw them away.

Leupold hands down for me. I've trusted them for forty years and have never been let down. They are definitely worth the money and have a forever guarantee. I sent one back to the factory a couple of years ago that I had bought as a teenager. I've carried it probably thousands of miles in all kinds of weather, dropped it out of trees, you name it. It had a minuscule flake out of the edge of the objective lens and they replaced it at no charge.

Yeah, I dont think there is a bad one. I have the sweetest little Leupold on my CZ 527 in .221 Fireball. It is a VX 2 ultralight 2x7 x28. It looks like a handgun scope. Fits the rifle perfectly.

I love the three Leupolds I have. I was just funning you a bi with the Tasco thing.:)

Hey, if I don't like it... I can sell it or sumptin..
Looks promising though
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Sh1WzMFnKEk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very impressive! It looks to have a 50mm objective lens, so it should gather plenty of light. I like the range finding capability and the reticles for different ranges, pretty slick. I may have to take back that Homelite remark;)

Back