Hunting 2014

So far.. the squirrels have thinned and the cats and birds have done well with the carcasses. The Yotes moved down the street to easy pickens there. Mostly chickens. They'll be back. I need to set up some night hunting out back in a few days or couple weeks. The local people post on FB about kills of livestock. So I will keep up my following and wait. :/:

This is starting to look like a PETA supporter page. Anyone spilt some blood yet. I wanna see some tasty horns!

Blood, I wish. I shot and missed a decent 8 point last thurs. I even shot a different 8 on fri and still no blood. Well not much. Pass through at 30 yds only Liver and a little high. Filled him up good, he went about 30 yds from there.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414533666.946165.jpg

Helluva fighter too. He has two busted tines and a hole in his right eye.

I could see Tucker doing this...

A float hunting/fishing trip would be a dream :hello1::hello1:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ukRwguFREjE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would kill to do that. Money. It stops me. Ive been hunting hard lately. Grouse, woodcock, and ditch parrots (pheasants). I don't hunt pheasants but they do taste good and if the dog points them, well, I shoot them. I haven't deer hunted yet, but its brewing.

photo-4.jpg photo-5.jpg
Here's a couple of bucks taken during the blackpowder season on our lease here in north Florida. I've seen a ton of bucks but nothing quite big enough, yet. The younger bucks are chasing like crazy. Shot a hog with my crossbow, my bro-in-law's been shooting enough hogs for both of us.

Presumably that man was hunting alone up in an isolated part of Alaska. I wonder how long it would take to come to his aid if he needed help? Would it be common sense carrying something for communications? I wondered how he would be getting the Caribou meat to his pickup point, and how to keep it protected from critters while the time passes until he leaves.

Protecting the meat from the bears would definitely be an issue. If you leave it in the raft and they find it, not only do you lose the meat, but the raft would be destroyed as well. I left the backstraps, tenderloins and ribs from a hog in a cooler in the back of my truck Sunday night. Big mistake. A bear wrecked my cooler and got all the meat. Scratched the truck up pretty bad too.

Not what you want to find in your stand in the am.
5471598fa90bea3ec15e59a5cb91131b.jpg

My uncle has gotten to rifle stands before only to find others already in it. :/:

Bro took the small 8 that runs with the small 5 his son turned down. Dad said he said the 8 and 5 were starting to spar 20 yds in front of him.

Shot it with my ole EXP Horton crossbow I loaned his son to use with my dad out hunting together. Also stated the deer ended up over on my place for its final breath.

He states he dont know why he shot the little 8 with the big boy 15pt running around the area. Oh well his buck tag is gone.

Dad said he had the little 8 on trail cam that morning and bro shot the deer that evening.

Not the morning pic but the deer.

deer14brotook.jpg

This is from a stand where I hunted for near twenty yrs. about five miles from where I killed the 8. Today at 2:30. Maybe we'll meet in the AM.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414804694.871482.jpg

Not monsters, but they will be good eating.
First one shot at 216 yards. Didn't take a step. 168 grain 308 Hornady Amax behind the shoulder.
#2 POV shot.
#3 a second on that hung around and was tagged by nephew who was about 800 yards away.
I radioed him after I shot the first onje and asked if he wanted to volunteer his tag for a forked horn meat buck. He agreed and the second buck fell at 205 yards without a step.
#4 caped out buck.
#5 the view from camp.
We used packers, horses and mules from Kennedy meadows pack station. We rode in, they dropped us off the day before opening day and left. They returned 4 days later and carried our deer and gear out. We walked out.
Our camp was at 9700'
Saw one hunter in 5 days. Kinda odd for Ca hunting.

Attachments

• DSCN1570.jpg
    DSCN1570.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN1557.jpg
    DSCN1557.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN1563.jpg
    DSCN1563.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN1581.jpg
    DSCN1581.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN1583.jpg
    DSCN1583.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 38
Looks like a perfect shot on the first one. Did either of your bullets exit? I can't imagine that 168 gr bullet not passing on through on a broadside shot. Nice deer and beautiful pictures.

Back