Hunting 2014

Before anyone sheds any tears over a coyote, watch this.http://youtu.be/iKzOdasHLOw
I see wild animal-pet-people confrontations all the time and it's amazing how distant a lot of people are from the reality of nature. They stomp a cockroach, an ant or a termite and think nothing of it. In fact, they hire "exterminators" to make sure that every single one is poisoned, most dying a slow, agonizing death. Kill something a little more "cute" and it ruffles people's feathers - until it directly affects them. As long as the coyotes, bears or gators are eating someone else's cattle, sheep or poodles, we should just leave them alone, after all, they're just trying to survive too. But when the aforementioned predators eat that person's poodle, then they want to eradicate the species. Coyotes here have become adept at eating fawns as they are being delivered and then eating the weakened doe as well. They start at the rear end, just like in the video, and eat the deer's hams while it's still alive. Just as people have a right to control pests in their home, I have a right to control them on my property.
Yes you do Ray.

I think I mentioned it a while back, but earlier this year, my sister and brother-in-law had gone on vacation, leaving my niece's dogs at my folks' house. My mother called one evening asking me to shine my spotlight over there and check the dogs, as it sounded like coyotes were killing them. I stepped to the door, and sure enough, three coyotes were attacking them. I had my daughter hold the light while I grabbed my rifle and shot one of them. The others backed off a bit when we walked over to check the dogs, but were less than 100 yards down the hill yipping and cutting up while my dad and I stood there talking and looking over the dogs.

I shot a coyote three years ago that was crossing my yard less than 40' from my front door. The following week I shot another that was standing in front of my 100-yard target. In those seven days, I killed three and missed one.....

And during the first two years after I got my chickens, I killed 7 grey fox from my front porch, along with numerous skunks and possums....gotta love living in the country!

I saw a pic of a cow who'd gotten stuck between two forked trees. The coyotes had eaten it alive, ass end first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It happens. Coyotes don't always have a way to instantly kill their dinner, if dinner comes in a large form like deer or livestock. They usually work from behind in the blind spots because a hoof injury to their jaw will cause them to starve to death. So they work the blind spots. Unlike a bear or mountain lion, they can't break a neck with a good swing. I don't like coyotes and have killed my share and the next 3 guys shares. But, in all reality, they aren't actually evil. They are a small carnivore, that often are feeding a small pack. So mice only go so far, and they have to take larger meals however they can get them. Wolves aren't a nicer animal. But they look all cool on the cover of national geographic so America just thinks they are neat. Coyotes are vicious killers and wolves are all Yellowstoney and earthy. Only difference I see between the two is 50-100 pounds.

Before anyone sheds any tears over a coyote, watch this.http://youtu.be/iKzOdasHLOw
I see wild animal-pet-people confrontations all the time and it's amazing how distant a lot of people are from the reality of nature. They stomp a cockroach, an ant or a termite and think nothing of it. In fact, they hire "exterminators" to make sure that every single one is poisoned, most dying a slow, agonizing death. Kill something a little more "cute" and it ruffles people's feathers - until it directly affects them. As long as the coyotes, bears or gators are eating someone else's cattle, sheep or poodles, we should just leave them alone, after all, they're just trying to survive too. But when the aforementioned predators eat that person's poodle, then they want to eradicate the species. Coyotes here have become adept at eating fawns as they are being delivered and then eating the weakened doe as well. They start at the rear end, just like in the video, and eat the deer's hams while it's still alive. Just as people have a right to control pests in their home, I have a right to control them on my property.

Why would that make me like coyotes less? Coyotes aren't evil, they kill the way they do out of necessity. Nature is not "fair" or "clean". A newborn Bambi eaten by a coyote is no more dead than a deer shot by your rifle.
You are seriously anthropomorphizing things.

You feel sorry for the deer, because you are a deer hunter, to me a deer is more of a pest than a coyote.

I love the argument that because someone is against the killing of coyotes, bears or gators, they must be city slickers who are " distant from the reality of nature"
I've been a country boy all my life except for the first two years, spent time most every day in the woods.
But the fact that I prefer having large predators to having sheep or cattle makes me " distant from the reality of nature"
Sorry, but that is plain bullshit.
The wolf is making a comeback here after being absent since 1866 ( When they shot the last one and rejoiced over it) and that argument is used against anybody who speaks up in public and says that maybe it would be nice to have some wolves here.
For one thing, they would clean up our roe deer population's gene pool, which has been literally "shot to shit" by trophy hunters.

Chris, do you seriously believe that the majority of Americans can tell the difference between a coyote and a wolf if the former is in winter fur and the latter in summer.
I don't.
As a matter of fact I don't think they can, even if they were both in winter fur.

Chris, do you seriously believe that the majority of Americans can tell the difference between a coyote and a wolf if the former is in winter fur and the latter in summer.
I don't.
As a matter of fact I don't think they can, even if they were both in winter fur.

The majority of Americans cant properly identify a bald eagle let alone sort out wild canines. But tell them that one is a wolf, well, then its becomes majestic. Tell them the other is a coyote and they call a game warden.

Prefer having large predators over having cattle and sheep? Hmm......Stig eats veggies and not meat. Makes sense, you dont want cows and sheep eating all the veggies. Dont like competition eh?:P

Don't like farmers!
Just so you don't get pissed off, I'm talking about Danish farmers.
I live in a land where farming has been turned into a major industry.......bigger farm....bigger machinery.....bigger......bigger....bigger!
We are 6 million people and 32 million pigs in this country ( And the muslims still come in droves:lol:)
The drinking water is polluted by fertilizer and pesticides, the air smell of pig shit and every little piece of land than can be, is turned under the plow.

That would be ok, somewhat, if it brought in some revenue, but take away the EU subsidies and subtract the cost of cleaning up after the pollution, and the net result is negative.
But they have a very strong lobby organization, so the politicians dance to their tune.

The last wild boars in Denmark was eradicated because the farm lobby feared they were carrying swine fever, an outbreak of which would take a hard toll on the export of dead pigs.
Once they were dead, it was found that they were all clean, but we still don't have wild boars in Denmark, because the swine lobby is paying a bounty to North german hunters, to shoot them, to keep them from crossing the border.

See why I prefer wolves to farmers?

You are seriously anthropomorphizing things.
I'd probably be offended if I knew what that meant, but being the country hick that I am I'll just keep eating venison, shooting 'yotes and let you graze and get chased by large predators where sheep and cattle used to live;)

I'd probably be offended if I knew what that meant, but being the country hick that I am I'll just keep eating venison, shooting 'yotes and let you graze and get chased by large predators where sheep and cattle used to live;)

LIKE!

Been hunting a bit. Shot a lot if grouse and pheasant this fall. Only a few woodcock. New pup is developing nicely.

My old girl Molly continues to make my smile and make memories ill never forget.

Had a scary incident a long ways from the truck. She split the vein in her ear and I couldn't get it to stop. Didn't have blood clotter with me and regret that. 2 hours of non stop heavy bleeding. I thought I was going to lose her. I was a mess mentally and it took me a day or two to relax. She is my world.

Her recovering...

My grouse that was my pet for a few days. Winston. He liked humans and chased us and played with us. I set him free though. He liked me and would chase me and play but he didn't look right in captivity.

And a bear I happened upon while turkey hunting. Ill kill him if I see him in another week.

Thank you. Jim, I've seen a lot of the lower 48 and PA is beautiful. More so central and north central. It's no Montana though.

My Bro-in-law grew up in Penn's woods and has many stories from trapping 'rats to the orange throng on opening day of deer season. Nothing like watching a really good, well trained dog work Chris. I grew up when wild bobwhites were everywhere. We shot snipe, doves and ducks too but rarely had the privilege of hunting over a good dog. We were our own bird dogs and not very good ones at that. Finding a downed bird can sometimes be a real chore without a dog, glad yours is okay.

Nice pics, Tuck. What's the blood from, briars etc scratching the dog?

She split the vein on the underside of her ear. I'm assuming a briar or a stick. That was a mild picture. I didn't post a graphic photo. It scared me and she was wobbling hard by the time I got her to the truck and managed to get it to clot.

I have never thought about first aid for a dog before. It would be damn hard to watch them bleed out.

I carry a basic first aid kit with me most times. One of those Adventure Medical kits available at sporting good stores. It has a good selection of soft supplies. I also carry a couple packets of Quik Clot just in case.

Back