ChipSafe

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
I was just perusing the latest edition of TCI and I saw this. It seems like a good idea, but I'd like to know how much it increases the cost of a chipper. Also, I bet the gloves/ankle straps aren't cheap. I can see where this will probably come standard on all chippers in the future.

Total bs, imo. Why not just build robots to feed the chipper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I read somewhere that around 300 people a year get sucked through, worldwide. "Total morselization" they call it. I bet those 300 people wish their chipper woulda been equipped with this.

I came up with this idea using RFID chips 10 years ago. I should have patented it.

If I remember right the chips cost less than 20 cents in bulk.

That's a single roller chipper, you'd have to work hard to chip yourself with that!
(Joke)

Probably it's the future, along with firearms with recognition software preventing it from being fired by anyone else.
(But that's a different thread!)

I think I read somewhere that around 300 people a year get sucked through, worldwide. "Total morselization" they call it. I bet those 300 people wish their chipper woulda been equipped with this.

Yeah, I heard that too, I think the TCIA mag said 8 in that pie chart, still.

U think people who can't chip safely are going to put that stuff on religiously? It reminds me of Big Brother

I don't know anyone personally. But does anyone know firsthand of a competent groundsmen pulled through? I'm not trying to be rude, I'd really like to know. For safety's sake. Sometimes accidents happen.

I bet if they were shown pictures of chipped employees, they'd get with the program. Who doesn't wear gloves?

I think ChipSafe is a great idea. Kinda like that table saw that comes to an instant complete stop when it touches flesh. Anyone ever seen it? They use a hot dog to demonstrate it? It barely breaks the skin, very cool.

It is true, accidents can happen. But I wager that the vast majority involve carelessness or stupidity or machines in poor operating condition. In other words, people doing due diligence are the least likely to be injured and don't need this electronic chit. But sure, for big companies like Asplunk etc, they probably love the idea.

I think ChipSafe is a great idea. Kinda like that table saw that comes to an instant complete stop when it touches flesh. Anyone ever seen it? They use a hot dog to demonstrate it? It barely breaks the skin, very cool.

I haven't seen that, but table saws routinely involve putting fingers close the the blade, afaik, unlike operating wood chippers, so such a safety device there makes sense to me.

The first thing I thought of when I saw that was, why the heck is Morbark encouraging operators to use their feet to push brush in? The hand thing seems good, I guess, but feet sensors?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I've lost count of the amount of time I've seen operators using their feet to push in brash and logs.

I wanted to use them as a proximity sensor too, so that the hydraulics are immobilised if the operator is more than 20 ft from the machine.

300 people a year is just horrendous. Ridiculous.

I was going to mention sawstop when i saw the first post. I don't know anyone that uses the device, probably mainly because of the expense. I think it's a very good idea, I have seen more than a few mangled fingers on woodworkers, or where there used to be fingers. I get down and dirty with saw blades sometimes. The utmost concentration is required and there is the tingle that goes with it. Especially if new people are coming in and using dangerous machines, those safety devices strike me as a better idea than nothing at all.

I wanted to use them as a proximity sensor too, so that the hydraulics are immobilised if the operator is more than 20 ft from the machine.

Now that is a good idea! My biggest fear has always been that someone leaves an unattended chipper and a child or bystander goes too close to the chipper.

I despise not being able to see where the guys are chipping. I know its stupid, but I just hate not having an eye on them.

If everyone just ran smaller chippers it wouldn't be an issue. I know most people like bigger chippers for better production but small chippers are cheaper to buy, maintain, operate, and I would love to see someone go through my 9 inch chipper.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Eric on the other hand my bigger chipper has been costing me less the operate and the same to maintain. Runs less amount of time, less noise, less fuel and more production. Thats like saying a smaller chipper will now expose workers to more chain saw injuries as now they spend more time using it with a 9" chipper. Not a far comparison imo.

I dunno - that's kinda like saying smaller chainsaws have less incidents of injuries than the bigger ones. I've cut myself twice - each time was with a small saw.

Big chippers are actually safer IMO. Less chainsaw work, less exposure to the feed chute because you're chipping bigger pieces meaning you can push them in from farther away. And 90% of the time, the bigger chipper will be machine fed, at least in my experience, be it via mini or full size loader, crane, or whatever else there is.

And as far as maintenance, big chippers cost less to operate and either equal too or less to maintain if done right, because they're built tougher than the baby chippers and can handle the abuse put on them. Again, that's just been my experience and what others have told me.

Back