Would like to start splicing

Silverbackarb

TreeHouser
As you guys have prolly seen on the other sections of this forum I have been asking and buying for a complete rope set up. I've pretty much got everything I need to climbed srt and ddrt. But I think taking the next step in this is not only learning and getting more experience with climbing would beginning to splice so I can begin to tailor my set ups to my undiscovered preferences. I'm thinking I'd like to buy maybe just a start up kit and begin splicing, start small with accessory lanyard and things like that then move up to load bearing splicing for my Unicenders and micro frog system. Can anyone point me to a good start up or even advanced kit whatever is worth he money in he long haul and maybe a manual and videos? Thanks guys, this site has been a great help!

Hey Brother, the best set of fids for splicing has been the Selma fids, and Amazon.com has a great deal on the set for ropes from 1/4" to 7/8", you could actually use it for 1" also, these are for double braids and stable braids, then there's the wire fid for 16-strand rope, you'll also need 2 awls, 1 standard and 1 New England ( a little shorter and a bit thicker). You can download the Samson Rope Splicing pdf or just go to a bookstore and purchase the spiral bound book, which covers over 12 different types of ropes. This will get you started, the biggest expense is patience! I mean a lot of it! If you need help there are some really great guys here that have a plethora of knowledge.
Best of Luck, and we're here to help each other!
Best Regards, Dave in WI.

I just made my fids out of aluminum rods from a hardware store, drilled and threaded the end. Allgear double braids (rigging lines) are super easy to splice, great starting point, and they will be usefull for slings. For 16 strand I just use piano wire. I prefer NE double braid splicing instructions, seems the easiest and the least amount of steps, IMHO.

I have selma fids but rarely use them,i use my samson set almost anytime using a tubular,wire is good and probably my most used,just use that and see if it's for you,if you like it make the purchase,just my opinion...

Hey Brother, the best set of fids for splicing has been the Selma fids, and Amazon.com has a great deal on the set for ropes from 1/4" to 7/8", you could actually use it for 1" also, these are for double braids and stable braids, then there's the wire fid for 16-strand rope, you'll also need 2 awls, 1 standard and 1 New England ( a little shorter and a bit thicker). You can download the Samson Rope Splicing pdf or just go to a bookstore and purchase the spiral bound book, which covers over 12 different types of ropes. This will get you started, the biggest expense is patience! I mean a lot of it! If you need help there are some really great guys here that have a plethora of knowledge.
Best of Luck, and we're here to help each other!
Best Regards, Dave in WI.

Great post, Dave! Welcome to the Tree House forum! My name is Tim. I think this is the first post of yours that I've read. I do not splice rope yet, so it's always nice to meet a new member that brings that skillset to the table. I look forward to reading more of your posts. Take care.

Tim

For splicing, 2 words...Brion Toss. Buy his splicing books and gear and you can't go wrong.

Thanks for that recommendation, Chris. I think I may have seen some piece of splicing gear with his name attached in an online arb catalog, but this is the first time I think I've seen his name mentioned on the forums, and I know nothing at all about his background. I've got some reading to do now.

Tim

Last edited:
Thanks Tim, I've been here over a year now and I usually sit back and read before I jump in and open my mouth. I started splicing over 40 years ago, watching my old man splice 3 strand, that's all we used for everything. Until recently I've really enjoyed getting to understand all of the different types and styles of ropes. The toughest lesson I've had to learn is that I don't know everything, nor will I ever. So the advice and help that I've gotten from this Forum has been worth its weight in gold. . So, thanks again for the formal invite. I look forward to seeing and showing almost all of my splices and those of others.
Dave6390

Dave6390 in WI

Back