Training A Crow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think that how much it eats is directly proportional to how much it poops. I would need a lot of newspaper.

A crow riding on your bike...reminds me of a pirate!

We'll call you PJ for Pirate Jay! Maybe call your crow Captain..or Hook..or BlackJack.

See if you can get some pictures of the crow on the bike.

Sure, Gary. Some crows or Ravens don't want to talk, apparently. I figure that "Hank" is pretty close to "Caw". Start out simple, and work up the routine, i figured. There are a lot of words that i would like to each him, particularly to express to one nosey neighbor that comes over too much.

OK....I went back to post #63 and daddy Jay referred to "Hank" as a possibility...looks like it took.

Hank is also a wad of rope so that is on track.

Knowing Jay, if that is apparent, he would free him

It's a good question, Chris. It gets good time outside, sitting on a fence or on the bike. When on the fence I keep an eye on it for cats coming around. If it could fly well enough, it could take off at any time if it wanted to. He seems quite interested in what is outside, the sights and sounds, and other birds definitely catch his eye. I think that it has a degree of attachment to me, like a parent. Lots of people tell me that they have never known a crow to appear so tame. It will be interesting see what it wants to do when it gets stronger, his choice. Birds should fly, i think, I mean ones born in the wild. There are some ravens on the web that fly around but don't seem to stray far from their owners, but they are trained, and perhaps born in captivity. i think the coolest thing would be if he could fly free and then come back, if that is at all possible. I take good care of him, plenty of food and fresh water, a clean cage and paling around, whatever factor that will be. It seems in quite good health. i would guess that the ability to fly isn't very far off.

If it does fly off and learns some words before it leaves, it might be the only English speaking crow in the country.

Enjoy your new friend, Jay. Hank looks cool.8) I had a Red Tailed Hawk that I borrowed from the wild for a short time, raised her and trained her to hunt. We learned a lot together. Birds are smart in their own way.

After one year of hunting I turned her loose, as it was meant to be. But I was able to call her back for many months. It was always a treat seeing her appear out of the clear blue sky like magic. I would toss her pieces of beef heart that she would snatch in mid air.

That seems to be the common pattern that I am reading about, Dave, once loose they will return for a period, then you see them no more. I guess you can only wonder if they are still alive. There is a lot of things on the web about taking in crows, why you shouldn't do it if there is the idea to want to release them at some point. One idea is to leave them on the ground if they have fallen from a nest, the parents will likely feed them until the point is reached where the youngster can fly. Says it isn't uncommon for that to happen. I didn't see that as an option if the bird could survive. It wasn't in thick brush and out of sight, but in the middle of a dirt road that gets traffic, and there are predators around. There is some question as to if it takes off, can it survive, and also crows can have a problem becoming socially integrated after being raised to a certain point away from a group. Beyond a certain time it is said that it is impossible to raise them and have them be contented, they will cower away from humans.

The crow doesn't seem all that young, on the verge of flying. How many weeks would that be? It chilled right out from the beginning, and basically seems rather content. Who knows? I'm not really sure if it is legal to keep them, once they can fly, if one wants to go by the book. Anyway, I'll try and keep it in good health and see how the desire for a take off goes. I took it in, so I think i should be dutiful to that responsibility at least. Have to say, it is cool going for a spin on the bike with it on the handlebars. It digs the breeze, watches the birds flying around or pays no attention to them, much like riding with a little kid. if I open the door on it's cage, it immediately comes right out to the exterior perch. Not being inside is definitely the preference, but sometimes it goes back in on it's own. Perhaps it was a chicken in a previous life?

Thanks, Rajan. He's making the rounds to the neighbors. Most people have never seen a crow real close up, or touched one. Maybe I should take him to some old folk's homes if it sticks around. Some people seem afraid of it and want to stand back. :lol: I don't think that crows have gotten the best write ups in some literature.

Possibly flunked flying school. Nosedives are the specialty. Make a good kamikaze if it could at least get up there.

Regardless of how it goes in the end, what a cool experience to have first hand. Thanks for sharing this, I find it fascinating.

Our Parakeets stay in the nesting box for two months after hatching. They come out looking nearly full grown. Fully feathered, just a wee bit smaller than the parents.

Your Hank is likely younger than you might think.

Went for a fairly long bike ride yesterday, must have been an hour and a half him sitting or standing on the handlebars screen all the way, once or twice when he nearly fell off when encountering a bump. When we got back to the shop he immediately went to sleep. One cool bird. I think he is getting close to a test flight, seems more confident in using his wings to move around to different locations on a fence or small tree. I believe that he is starting to say his name, seems most open to suggestions about talking when getting food put in his mouth, sort of like buying his cooperation.

Back