Training A Crow

When it come to strangers, you never know who you're dealing with.
You're right Butch but I went off one night. I was headed home when the car ahead of me threw a beer bottle out in my driveway. I chased him down and told him he WOULD go back and pick it up. It turned out to be a teenager out with his buddies and he saw just how serious I was about it. He said, "yes sir" and went back and picked up the bottle. I know it must have embarrassed the pee out of him and I'm sure his buddies gave him heck. My wife said I was crazy. Probably so.

I dont randomly kill for amusement but he had it coming. There wasnt enough room here for both of us and I wasnt moving my family.

Who would? But sometimes you gotta deal with a pest. Here we can't just unload with live fire even near town, gotta use a pellet gun. Sucks.

Jay this thread is fascinating. Some pics if possible would be super cool. I would never have thought a crow would act how you've described in captivity.

That crow was replaced by Stewart, our nearly nightly guest. The crow made much smaller messes. Stewart is quiet, however. The crow was not. I dont mind this guy. I dont always like coming upon him unexpectedly. I have zero fear of him, but only on the condition that I see him ahead of time and can keep an eye on his body language. Catching him in the dark when I open the door to put trash in the can is what I dont enjoy. As long as one of us sees the other first, life is good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My farmer neighbor has been saying that he wants to shoot the crows that are always around and in his garden, but a couple years ago he turned in his guns. I made a slingshot on the bandsaw for him awhile back. I showed him the crow i found, and he started petting it and making baby talk sounds. :lol: Everyone likes cute.

I will put up some pics.

What would be a good name for a crow....... First I guess you need to know whether it's a male or female. Have you figured that out yet Jay?

Sorry, I had to re-read it. I was gonna ask what if it's a girl crow, but my wife's name is Jimmie so I guess we got it all planned out for Jay there Jim.

I was thinking the name, "Hank", likely easy to learn to say, but I dunno about the gender. What do you reckon from the pics? The male vibe? Will already stand on my shoulder to walk down the road to meet the neighbors, sometimes cawing back and forth to it's parents buzzing around above, and still freaking out. Otherwise quiet all of the time. A real cool pet. One thing I notice is that it seems very attentive to different sounds. Quite good hearing, apparently. Still a very good appetite and seems hardy. It likes cat food softened up with water, which makes things easy.

Attachments

• Hank1 copy.jpg
    Hank1 copy.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Hank copy.jpg
    Hank copy.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 37
Seems like four or five times a day on average, some milky white stuff as on the pad on my bench. In his house I have newspaper on the bottom, and the crap dries out pretty quick. It doesn't smell, and now that he spends most of his time on the perch that I put in, it's not walking in it.

Could be, Jim, Always looking around, it's head hardly stays still unless it is falling asleep. Starting to play with some toys. Crows like shiny things.

He can't fly yet, hasn't learned to or not enough power in it's wings. It goes through the motions, but can barely lift into the air, more like just flutters along the ground. I think it has more or less adopted me, I can do about anything around him, cut holes in his cage when he is inside, and it just stands there watching the activity, no scurrying around. Quite a chilled little fellow, it appears.

It must be still quite young, fell from the nest.

Good looking hunk of bird flesh there, Jay.

Back