Training A Crow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Crows are very guilty of spreading trash in Tokyo when they get into the garbage bags that people put out. It's a little war going on. They seem to have an interest in just about anything that humans discard. Obviously looking fr food is a big thing with them, but I have seen them take away some things from behind my shop that really make me wonder what their plans are.

Yeah, I got ya. I am sure it is a simulated crow explosion, just like the GIF posted a while back about the guy blowing up. I have not seen the movie either, kind of a terrorist parody spoof.

I guess the idea of training a crow made me think of that clip, I did not mean to offend anyone. I suppose I should have posted a clip of the Shawshank Redemption. That was a pretty cool crow.

You are right, it did not add anything to the conversation.

Ha, yeah litter has always annoyed the f outta me. But I rarely picked it up until a hot young girl splained things to me. We were in Yellowstone years ago and encountered some trash left by some crap-faced folks. So I was ranting about it and she said, 'you can just pick it up.' Lol, that actually hadn't occurred to me.:|: Now I do it all the time. The only thing worse than picking it up is not picking it up.

BTW, the film the crow scene is taken from is darkly hilarious. 'Four Lions', about british muslim terrorist wannabe's, its a masterpiece.

Nah, Jim, I wasn't trying to attack you , you are a level headed bloke.:thumbup: But yeah it just rubbed me wrong, that's all. No biggie

Fair enough, Thor. I suspected an understanding of the movie might help put the crow thing in perspective.

When I was on the Enterprise, trash was thrown overboard at the fantail. It was an amazing sight, seeing trash bags floating all the way to the horizon. I'm pretty sure they don't do that anymore.

Yeah the only folks who do that on a large scale these days is Carnival Cruise Lines.

The thing about it is that it is not hyper. When it's hungry, like when I get to my shop in the morning, it is a little antsy, but with something in it's belly it chills right out. I read where they are early morning feeders in particular. Late afternoon and it goes to sleep. Hardly ever lets out a peep.

That's what Bernd said in his book- ravens can seem wild in the wild but once you catch them they chill right out like all is good...

Outside when it's parents are flying around directly above and making a crazy racket, it hardly pays attention now. Maybe that is what is bothering them so much? :lol:

Jay, any interest in those books I mentioned? I think you would dig them.

Crows are extremely intelligent....
Probably more so than some terrorists...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bXQAgzfwuNQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Crows are highly intelligent. There has been studies done on crow behavior, and they can even recognize human faces as threatening or non threatening.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vfI5-RWC-QQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty cool.

Gary

Cool vids. I'm really enjoying the crow. I made it a proper cage with more space and ventilation, and when it was inside of it while I was cutting out a window, the bird was paying a lot of attention to the goings on and seemingly not fearful at all, and once the window was completed, it quickly came over and closely checked it out. Now it has a large broad mesh screen that gives it a good view of me at my workbench, and all day long it watches the activity. It appears to be thinking about things. It also has learned about feeding itself quite quickly. It seems easy going, which is really cool. Very interesting little fellow. So far an excellent appetite and consuming a lot of water. They like cat food if you soften it up with some water, and apparently it has good nutrition in it for them.

Those books sound good, Cory.

Jay, this thread is a good read. Thanks for the updates. I have never known anyone who had a crow.

I am reading "Game of Thrones" and crows/ravens are part of the story...the story implies that they can learn to mimic/talk some also. It will be interesting to see if yours does.

A name for Sir Crow? I did not notice one yet....

Haven't thought of a name. It might be helpful to know the gender first, but it requires some kind of expert or a blood check to determine, there being no outward signs except males may grow to be larger.

Ha, yeah litter has always annoyed the f outta me. But I rarely picked it up until a hot young girl splained things to me. We were in Yellowstone years ago and encountered some trash left by some crap-faced folks. So I was ranting about it and she said, 'you can just pick it up.' Lol, that actually hadn't occurred to me.:|: Now I do it all the time. The only thing worse than picking it up is not picking it up.

A funny thing to do is pick it up, give it back the person and tell them they accidentally dropped it. I did it one time when I was a bike messenger and came up to someone at a stop light to return their lost goods. Startled the poop out of him. I just tossed it and told him.

That can backfire on yah too. I almost had to beat an older fellow once for getting all bent out of shape when I pointed out to him that the world wasn't his personal trash can. I won't abide much foul language in front of my daughter. The guys wife was smarter than him and apologized for her idiot/embarrassed husband and helped him do the right thing.

Generally I expect the worst, so I wasn't overly suprised.

I run on the Shrek philosophy, "Better out than in". I don't swallow anger/displeasure often, doesn't taste good to me.

My crazy ex wife could be hilarious at times. We were parked at a Mac D's one day and this guy throws his empty bag into the bushes. Wife goes over, pics it up and launches it full pelt back through his car window in his face. Told him where she'd stick the rubbish if he threw it out again... He screeched of without a word.
Hilarious.

This is a great thread Jay. Keep us updated on the Crow. You could call it Brandon... or you could call it Joer Mormont :D

I had this crow living nearby for a year that rifled through my garbage, picked things out of the back of my truck, and screamed outside my windows constantly. So I shot him. never had a problem since. It didnt intend on killing him but he was destructive and would find ways to make a mess. I couldnt leave anything less then 2 pounds un attended on my property or he would make off with it or destroy it.

Back