Training A Crow

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gJ_3BN0m7S8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You need to get them before they grow feathers.
Old tradition here, although mostly it features the crow's cousin, the rook.

That one is a young grey crow, corvus cornix they are like humans, pretty stupid as teenagers, but smarten up when they get older.
You see a LOT of them as roadkill here this time of the year, the ones that make it through their first year, get really traffic savvy, you hardly ever see an adult one hit.

Wow, Jay, I missed the news that Hank took off, saw you reference it in another thread, sorry to hear!! Great picture of him sitting on the chair back. I'm sure it is sad for you that he booked, but have faith in his instincts to do the right thing. Plus, ya gotta believe that with the relationship you two had, together with the IQ those creatures have, you probably haven't seen the last of him

I often think of hank too when I see crows now. I observe them a little more than I ever did before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's cool Squish. I am exactly the same, my interest level raised.. They have their reasons for acting the way that they do.

Ya, I really meant it when I said that bike riding is not nearly the same. Fairly boring now.

So, a couple of weeks ago I was taking down an oak tree, I rigged the top stem off and when the rope caught a earth/twig nest flew out with 4 (I think) magpie chicks. I could see them from up the tree on the ground. Always sad, but anyone who takes trees down all year round has seen this. I won't pretend I wouldn't have done it if I'd seen the nest, or stood there for a while to see if anything was visiting it. On this occasion however I hadn't seen it.
Three had already perished in the fall but one seemed ok, just sitting on the ground.
Now in the old days I might of euthanased it, it had no chance of being fed by its parents. Lately I tend to put it/them somewhere safe to see out its last few hours in relative peace.
So the neighbour (for whom I've worked before) picked it up and took it indoors, took some advice from the Internet re. Feeding, and so far so good, him and his wife have named it Mick and they give me regular updates.
His latest missive said he's full of character.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 32
I did the same with a woodpecker once. I thought all was fine but after a couple of days, it croaked. I hope Mick makes it!!!

I think he's old enough to survive, it's been a couple of weeks now and he's thriving, the crow family are adaptable feeders.

Freaking awesome, keep us posted, Mick re Mick.

Very cool. Are they wanting to keep and possibly train it, or return it to the wild? I think different approaches depending.

No idea ATM, I don't think that a return is possible, he'll just be killed by wild ones,I'll pop round and see them soon to find out, they research stuff on the internet so they're not foolish about it.

There is a thing for controlling magpies here called a Larsen trap, you have a lure bird in a cage and another cage next to it with a collapsing roof.
Magpies cannot abide another bird in their territory so will descend to the trap, land on the roof and fall through to meet their doom later in the day at the hands of the gamekeeper. They do it one after the other, the instinct to attack the intruder is so strong.
The wild can be an unforgiving place.

Back