Dead fir removal - Treestuff promo

RegC

TreeHouser
I got some new stuff off Nick and co. Not sure if I was using it all correctly:)....but it held up pretty good.

Edit: Use HD setting

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/40DZ1VIilUs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big lumps being snatched there! Good vid and a good showcase of the gear.
Two questions.
1. It seemed to me that you were trying to rope the larger sections in the middle of the log rather than closer to the cut, was this deliberate? And if so why?
2. I have a 540 as well and notice that you have a very simple hook on to your harness,There are two rings on the saw so what is it you Hook it on to on your harness

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good Stuff!

The jungle drums in the beginning was different :lol:

Yeah I know:lol:

You're right Butch, it was handy. We hardly ever have to take the wood out here but on this occasion the guy wanted it gone.

I saw your other vid where you ran over a 201. I guess that was an old saw, before they improved it? I have a 200 and a 201 and the 201 cuts and runs just fine.

I find mid tying wood makes for less of a slam, the top of the piece hits first, instead of the whole length if butt tied. Good vid Reg, cool tunes.

It guess it does, but when the end hits as it did later in the vid it sent a hell of a judder through the trunk. (Was at the end in slowmo)
Edit at 7.06

Might be a help to the groundsman too as he was putting those chunks onto the trolley as they came down. It must be nice to have plenty of height to work with. Everything just floats into the right position before hitting the ground.
Nice job.

I love your videos man. Gotta say I'm a little curious on the mid-tie as well. Seems like the sharp edge of the piece was making it's initial contact near to the lowering line, but as Mistahbenn said, probably wanted to minimize the impact on that big dead noodle.

I liked the tribal drums! 8)

Fantastic vid as usual, Reg. Thanks for posting.

How do you unload those big pcs, tip the trolley over sideways?

When you are roping those logs, is your climb line tied in to the tree SRT or Ddrt? If SRT, what friction hitch/device are you using.

Thanks, Reg!

I like mid tying timber, but does seem to hit the stem harder than a genuinely butt tied piece.

Nice smooth job as usual Reg. Do you ever have issues with the piece, block, line & lowering block all being in line? I have damaged rope - nearly cutting through some by getting the cut section hitting the rigging rope. Especially on trees such as beech which always seems to have sharp edges.

Sorry for the late reply, Ive been out this morning. The mid-tie, or near mid-tie makes the clove hitch more secure. A clove is a fast knot to tie and really strong, but probably not the best cinching knot out there. Its also better to put more line that side of the block than less, where possible. The bark was pretty loose in places, so again, putting the line a little higher not a bad idea.

Butch, yes my 201 was a first generation. I was probably a little hasty in squashing it, as I probably coulda got a couple hundred of somebody.

La because, the hook is a petzl biner with a flat plastic edge to keep it aligned for that purpose I believe. Theres a name for it that I cant remember. Somebody gave it to me recently.

Pete, the block and falling logs were aimed at 90 degrees from the lowering device, so while it probably looked close on the video nothing actually clashed. A couple times toward the end I noticed my climb line was snagged on my right spur and almost got hit, but still didnt. I used to do lots of that kind of work but very rarely nowdays.

Cory, for long logs like that its easy enough just to tip the cart from the back and then drag it out from under the log. You dont need to tip it sideways. I used Nicks usaver for the climbline DdRt until the logs got too wide. After that I just set it straight DdRT around the trunk. Thanks

Ya, Pete. I was noticing the sharp shooting between lines as well. Nicely done, Reg.

When people turn the Lowering Device around the trunk, how much angle is desirable between plumb vertical and the rigging line? Or to ask it another way, do you go a 1/4 revolution down low, and over 1/4 higher up?

I so rarely Have to rig conifer spars. When you have to haul the wood, it makes lots of sense. I love my ATrolley. Reg, is that an aftermarket- modified handle, or a newer design? Looks like it makes a lot of sense.

Great Job as usual Reg. Yeah, we've got a long-standing debate in our inbred shop, and people even stupider than myself insist that doing it like that increases the shock-load factor, which is a forgivable misunderstanding, but not after the hundredth time I've tried to explain it to them. The key phrase that you used was "that side of the block". More distance in the line above the block as you were doing it, only allows for greater rope stretch, which is of course a great thing when shock loading.

Sean, like I said, 90 degrees for me is usually enough....and you could always face the log a little off from the block also, to be extra safe. That trolley was just the second prototype. It changed again after that for production and shipping purposes.

You're right Butch, the body of the 201is just fine and no doubt functional....but the handles and throttle linkages ate done. Make me an offer ?

Thanks Jed. I also think the common misassumption is that when you tie the log or top higher it falls further, when really it doesn't. Rather its the gap between the block and the face that varies the distance off fall. Even then it only really comes into play as you start getting closer to the ground with no room to run the load.

Great vid Reg. The two safety's (half hitches) you tied on the line after that clove hitch are key to that style you used. Years ago, working in Seattle over a million dollar home on a fir surrounded by a deck that had glass railings, I had a 500 pounder blow out a clove hitch while negative rigging. Unlike your single clove, I used a double clove hitch, and up the trunk a fair amount from the cut, but I had it tied with only one safety hitch after the knot, and the tail was short. When it blew through, the unfurling of the clove hitch put a spin on the log like the grooves in a rifle barrel putting twist on a bullet. It held on long enough to swing away from the home but continued on it's straight, untumbling mission until it went through the deck, hitting a joist square, and hee-haw"ing" (old American show) decking boards all around the ground crew. The bunker-buster didn't stop til it was replanted in the dirt under the deck. One of the coolest and most sickening crunches I've ever heard. I can replay it all in my mind to this day in matrix style slo-mo.

Funny: I've got half a mind to make you an offer for the extra parts, but half a mind to follow your lead on MY saw!

About the rigging thing: I was trying to say what you just said, only using my bumbling, lumpish manner. Brevity: such a gift.

Betcha it was your last cut to.
We roped one this week with the wrong rope and crushed a wheel barrow like a grape. Thanks for learning and entertaining

Thanks : ) Actually I was at least 80 ft up at the time and had to finish out the rest of the spar with a big dark cloud of demoralization hanging on me, like when I was a kid, and my mom told me in church that I was getting a spanking when I got home.

Back