Gardening 2014

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didnt know if you had any sort of lawn area or a stoop you could put them on?

Like I said, I wish I could. I've even considered growing indoors, like before, but that would be too expensive.

It's a little inconvenient if you don't have your garden area by your residence, but lots of people rent plots to grow. Doesn't doc have some space?

We're not doing much this year, yet. I've got garlic well up from last fall's planting and strawberry plants.

My front lawn is 15' x 50' and I'm not putting a garden on it. I'd be supplying the neighborhood with veggies.

If people steal vegetables, that is a problem. People that do that are no different from monkeys, I guess.

I should be done seeding spring wheat in a couple of days. I have a rule that no gardening gets done until my wheat is in.

I am going to try a new spot this year away from the bindweed. Got my three point rototiller hooked up last night.

Corn, spuds, peas, beans, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, radishes, cucumbers, rutabagas, turnips and parsnips, cabbages, carrots, pretty standard stuff. This will be the first year that we have a garden and kids, should be fun!

How about everyone else?

Got my potatoes in last night. Daughter helped by dropping in the potatoes, son helped by chasing ducks. Ground did not work up like I had hoped, but it was just an old chunk of prairie. I will need to rake the ground for the fine seeds once the mud goes away, but the kids and I will be planting the sweet corn tonight. I will get some pics and post em!

I guess we are done. All the squashes and cucumbers and such are up. The raddishs are up, so are the turnips. Some things like rutabagas and carrots are not up yet, but they have not been in the ground long. Corn is rowed in, potatoes look good, so do the onions.

First garden in a long time and the kids helped with all of it. I will get some pics posted.

Some people around here wont plant after the middle of June. I got done a week ago and we have a short growing season, should be fine.

My friend used to plant close rows and take a mop soaked in RoundUP and drag it between the rows. Doing that would slow up the bindweed and not kill the veggies like spraying would.

All going well, potatoes, onions, beetroot, too many to mention, even asparagus.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 51
Drought here, so since I didn't water all I've got this year is potatoes, with very few under each plant.
The stuff in the greenhouse is doing fine, though, since it gets watered.
I really miss my big poly tunnel.:cry:

Few pics I took today, gardens about at its best, just before August burns off the grass.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 33
Back