Gardening 2014

The hanging gardens of Babylon?

Once I turned the laptop upside down, they look fine.
Nice garden, Mick. Mine is all burnt away this year, no rain at all.

We dug the foundation for the new horse stable 2 days ago, the earth was dust dry 40 cm deep.

Cool garden, Mick. I'm not so keep on cutsy gardens where people have a lot of flowers and some get carried away with adding clay figurines of the seven dwarfs. The way you have added some color with restraint is very nice.

Looks good, Jim.
I gave up on mine this year. The drought killed everything and with waterprices here, i don't want to water.
So it grew up in knee high weeds, way too many to simply run the rototiller over.
Yesterday I had a good idea: string trimmer head on the brush cutter and simply took every thing off at ground level.
Now it looks fine and I can dump a load of horse manure out on it and run the tiller.
I hope we get better weather next year.

Attachments

• P1010673.JPG
    P1010673.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 32
  • P1010674.JPG
    P1010674.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 32
Is horse manure as good as sheep manure? I gave up on cow manure, even though I have LOTS of it, because the weed seeds survive a cows gut action.

The sheep manure is safer in this regard. I suppose horses are kinda like sheep with teeth top an bottom, maybe grind the seeds up better.

Looks nice!

Growing a garden has been one of the most satisfying things I have done in a long time!

I should have water enough for next year, as my pond is still full. Most years it is dry by june and we dont water anything except the house! We only average 10-11 inches of precip a year.

Horse manure is what is usually used for gardening here.
I don't know if it is better than cow, but it is what I have access to.

Hella pics, Jim, of your kids and garden and huge pasture land. Kudos. Now, if you only liked wolves a bit;):lol:

nice stuff! im in the same boat as Stig, dry as a bone in my garden now. still some perennials hanging in there, tree collards, cape gooseberry, sorrel, artichoke, and perennial peppers. got a nice crop of shallots earlier and a few cherry tomatoes. i plan on putting in a big winter garden!

Back